How do I find the gradient of a 3D vector?

In summary, finding the gradient of a 3D line is not possible as a line in 3 dimensions does not have a single gradient. However, two 3D vectors can be determined to be parallel if one is a scalar multiple of the other.
Saracen Rue
Let's say I have point A(2, 6, 0) and B(3, -1, -2) and wanted to find the gradient of the vector joining these two points. I know how to find the vector representing the line joining these points:

OA = 2i + 6j , OB = 3i - j - 2k

AB = AO + OB
AB = -OA + OB
AB = -(2i + 6j) + 3i - j - 2k
AB = -2i - 6j + 3i - j - 2k

AB = i - 7j - 2k

But I don't know how I could find the gradient of this vector. Any help will be much appreciated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You can get [itex]\vec{AB}[/itex] instantly as
[tex]\vec{AB}=\vec{OB}-\vec{OA}=(3-2)\vec{i}+(-1-6)\vec{j}+(-2-0)\vec{k}=\vec{i}-7\vec{j}-2\vec{k}[/tex]

gradient of [itex]\vec{AB}[/itex] means null vector, as [itex]\vec{AB}[/itex] is constant. Maybe you wanted the module, the norm
[tex]||\vec{AB}||=\sqrt{1^2+(-7)^2+(-2)^2}=\sqrt{54}=3\sqrt{6}[/tex]

Last edited:
Raffaele said:
You can get [itex]\vec{AB}[/itex] instantly as
[tex]\vec{AB}=\vec{OB}-\vec{OA}=(3-2)\vec{i}+(-1-6)\vec{j}+(-2-0)\vec{k}=\vec{i}-7\vec{j}-2\vec{k}[/tex]

gradient of [itex]\vec{AB}[/itex] means null vector, as [itex]\vec{AB}[/itex] is constant. Maybe you wanted the module, the norm
[tex]||\vec{AB}||=\sqrt{1^2+(-7)^2+(-2)^2}=\sqrt{54}=3\sqrt{6}[/tex]

Thanks for that first part, it should make things a little easier ^_^

I think I may have asked the question wrong. Let me try to rephrase it; it you have[tex]\vec{AB}[/tex], how would you find the gradient of the line AB.

What do you mean by "the gradient" of a 3D line? A line in 2 dimensions makes a single angle with the x-axis (and its angle with the y-axis is the conjugate of that) so we can take the tangent of that angle as the single number representing its direction, its "gradient".

But a line in 3 dimensions makes three different angle with the coordinate axes, the "direction cosines" for the line (and the sum of the squares of those cosines is 1) so we cannot have a single number that tells us the direction of the line. The best we can do is take those three direction cosines as components of a 3 d vector.

In particular, while a 3D vector may be a gradient vector for a line, a 3D vector does NOT "have" a gradient.

HallsofIvy said:
What do you mean by "the gradient" of a 3D line? A line in 2 dimensions makes a single angle with the x-axis (and its angle with the y-axis is the conjugate of that) so we can take the tangent of that angle as the single number representing its direction, its "gradient".

But a line in 3 dimensions makes three different angle with the coordinate axes, the "direction cosines" for the line (and the sum of the squares of those cosines is 1) so we cannot have a single number that tells us the direction of the line. The best we can do is take those three direction cosines as components of a 3 d vector.

In particular, while a 3D vector may be a gradient vector for a line, a 3D vector does NOT "have" a gradient.

Oh okay, thank you. If that's the case, is it possible to determine if two 3D vectors are parallel to each other or not?

Is one a scalar multiple of the other?

As JonnyG suggests, two vectors, in any dimension, are "parallel" if and only if one is a multiple of the other. (Sometimes the word "anti-parallel" is used if that multiple is negative.)

Related to How do I find the gradient of a 3D vector?

1. How do I find the gradient of a 3D vector?

Finding the gradient of a 3D vector involves finding the partial derivative of each component of the vector with respect to each coordinate axis (x, y, and z). The gradient is a vector that represents the direction and magnitude of the steepest increase in a function.

2. What is the formula for calculating the gradient of a 3D vector?

The formula for calculating the gradient of a 3D vector is ∇f = (∂f/∂x, ∂f/∂y, ∂f/∂z), where f is the function and ∂ represents the partial derivative.

3. Can the gradient of a 3D vector be negative?

Yes, the gradient of a 3D vector can be negative. The gradient is a vector, so it can have both positive and negative components, depending on the direction and magnitude of the steepest increase in the function.

4. What does the gradient of a 3D vector tell us?

The gradient of a 3D vector tells us the direction and rate of change of a function at a specific point. It also gives us the direction in which the function is increasing the fastest.

5. How is the gradient of a 3D vector used in physics and engineering?

The gradient of a 3D vector is used in physics and engineering to calculate the direction and magnitude of forces, determine the direction of heat and energy flow, and solve optimization problems. It is also used in fields such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics.