How do i find the friction force without μ or acceleration?

In summary, the conversation involved a discussion about friction and how it involves two surfaces, such as a desk and the floor. The conversation also touched on the use of a "scale" for weighing and how it can measure tension in a string. Other items, such as paper, beads, and measuring tape, were mentioned as potential tools for measuring weight. The conversation then shifted to how to directly measure a force using these items. Eventually, the conversation concluded with a discussion on using the weight of a mass to find the maximum static frictional force between the desk and the floor.
helppmeee
Homework Statement
I need to find the static and kinetic coefficient of a desk for a physics lab. we have pulleys, string, a scale, a "car" and a few other things. How would I find the force of friction?
Relevant Equations
no idea

Physics news on Phys.org
Friction involves two surfaces. What are they? Or do you mean rolling resistance?
The "scale" is as in a weighing scale?
What other things?

haruspex said:
Friction involves two surfaces. What are they? Or do you mean rolling resistance?
The "scale" is as in a weighing scale?
What other things?
I guess the desk and the floor.
scale is for weighing yes. things that can be used for weight (like paper, beads etc.), measuring tape and i think that's it but we are allowed to bring anything else we want.

helppmeee said:
I guess the desk and the floor.
scale is for weighing yes. things that can be used for weight (like paper, beads etc.), measuring tape and i think that's it but we are allowed to bring anything else we want.
Which of all the items you listed can directly measure a force?

haruspex said:
Which of all the items you listed can directly measure a force?
nothing? there's a way for sure i just can't think of anything. does anything come to mind?

If your 'scale' can measure tension in a string, just attach it to object(s) and pull - take reading at the point where the object(s) just begin to move. Alternatively increase slope of surface till object just begins to slide - then ##μ_s=tan(θ) ## if I remember correctly. I can't quite see how to do kinetic friction but I'd guess you will need some kind of 'ticker timer' experiment whereby the object(s) are pulled along the table surface by a falling weight of known value. You should be able to calculate coefficient of kinetic friction if you can obtain a value for the acceleration of falling mass and/or mass sliding on the table.

neilparker62 said:
If your 'scale' can measure tension in a string, just attach it to object(s) and pull
Please do not provide answers so early. Try nudging a little first. The student must be encouraged to think.

neilparker62 said:
If your 'scale' can measure tension in a string, just attach it to object(s) and pull - take reading at the point where the object(s) just begin to move. Alternatively increase slope of surface till object just begins to slide - then ##μ_s=tan(θ) ## if I remember correctly. I can't quite see how to do kinetic friction but I'd guess you will need some kind of 'ticker timer' experiment whereby the object(s) are pulled along the table surface by a falling weight of known value. You should be able to calculate coefficient of kinetic friction if you can obtain a value for the acceleration of falling mass and/or mass sliding on the table.
by scale i mean bathroom scale

haruspex said:
Please do not provide answers so early. Try nudging a little first. The student must be encouraged to think.
how would my bathroom scale measure the tension in string

helppmeee said:
by scale i mean bathroom scale
Doesn't that measure force?

helppmeee said:
how would my bathroom scale measure the tension in string
It can measure the force provided by the weight of a mass. How could you use that weight?

haruspex said:
Doesn't that measure force?
force of gravity. i need force of friction
haruspex said:
It can measure the force provided by the weight of a mass. How could you use that weight?
weight is equal to force of gravity...
i could get the mass from the weight...
thats all i can think of

helppmeee said:
force of gravity. i need force of friction

weight is equal to force of gravity...
i could get the mass from the weight...
thats all i can think of
How could you use the weight of the mass?

What do you need the desk to do if you are going to find the maximum static frictional force it has from the floor?

haruspex said:
What do you need the desk to do if you are going to find the maximum static frictional force it has from the floor?
i would need to get the desk to start moving

haruspex said:
How could you use the weight of the mass?
would the weight which equals to force of gravity be equal to force Newton which is the same as force tension?

helppmeee said:
would the weight which equals to force of gravity be equal to force Newton which is the same as force tension?
If you use weight in the right way, yes.
Gravitational force is horizontal. What direction do you need the force on the desk? How can you arrange that?

haruspex said:
If you use weight in the right way, yes.
Gravitational force is horizontal. What direction do you need the force on the desk? How can you arrange that?

it would look like that (ignore the masses labelled)

helppmeee said:
View attachment 241779
it would look like that (ignore the masses labelled)
Right. What would your procedure be to find the static frictional force?

Related to How do i find the friction force without μ or acceleration?

1. How do I calculate the friction force without knowing the coefficient of friction?

The friction force can be calculated by using the formula F = μN, where F is the friction force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force. If the coefficient of friction is not known, you can still calculate the friction force by using an estimate for the coefficient of friction or by using experimental data.

2. Can I calculate the friction force without knowing the acceleration?

Yes, the acceleration is not required to calculate the friction force. The friction force is dependent on the coefficient of friction and the normal force, not the acceleration. As long as you have the necessary information to calculate these values, you can find the friction force.

3. What is the normal force and how do I find it?

The normal force is the perpendicular force exerted by a surface on an object in contact with it. It is equal in magnitude to the weight of the object, unless other forces are acting on the object. To find the normal force, you can use the formula N = mg, where m is the mass of the object and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. Is the friction force always equal to the coefficient of friction times the normal force?

No, the coefficient of friction is not always equal to the friction force. The coefficient of friction is a constant that depends on the materials in contact, while the friction force can vary depending on the normal force and other factors such as surface roughness.

5. Can I use the same value for the coefficient of friction in all situations?

No, the coefficient of friction can vary depending on the materials in contact and the surface conditions. It is important to use the correct coefficient of friction for each specific situation in order to get an accurate calculation of the friction force.