How do I find the fraction of the job done?

In summary, the worker can finish 2/3 of all the windows in 6 days. This can be calculated by setting up a ratio of "proportion of windows washed : number of days" and then multiplying by 6 to get the proportion of windows washed in 6 days. Another way to solve this problem is by dividing the total number of windows by the number of days it takes to wash them all, and then multiplying that number by the number of days being asked for (6). The answer is 2/3.
jaytheseer
If a worker can wash all the glass windows of a building in 9 days, what part of the job can
said workers finish in 6 days?1. ¼
2. 1/3
3. 2/3
4. 3/5
5. ¾

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Need EXPLANATION on how to solve this one. Thanks!

Here is a hint: If it takes 9 days to wash ALL the windows, what fraction of the total will the worker wash in ONE day? (What number is 1 part of 9 making a whole)?

Multiply your answer to THAT question by six. You may have to "reduce" your final answer.

Is it 2/3? I tried to draw a figure to be able to visualize it (and it takes much time). I don't know other ways to solve it. :confused:

jaytheseer said:
Is it 2/3? I tried to draw a figure to be able to visualize it (and it takes much time). I don't know other ways to solve it. :confused:

No drawings are needed. But your answer is correct, in 6 days one person can wash 2/3 of the windows. The easier way is to use ratios.

Set up a ratio "Proportion of the windows washed : Number of days", in this case it will be 1:9. So if you wanted to know how much in one day, you simply have to divide both sides by 9, giving 1/9 : 1 (in other words, 1/9 of the windows in 1 day), then for six days multiply everything by 6, giving 6/9 : 6, or if you like, 2/3 : 6 (2/3 of all the windows will be done in 6 days).

Can you go from here?

Got it! Thanks guys! :)

Having said that no drawings were necessary, I'd still be very interested in seeing them, as I love seeing different ways to solve problems and will never discourage a student's creativity...

Related to How do I find the fraction of the job done?

1. What is a fraction and how is it related to a job?

A fraction is a numerical representation of a part of a whole. In the context of a job, it represents the amount of work that has been completed compared to the total amount of work that needs to be done.

2. How do I calculate the fraction of the job done?

To calculate the fraction of the job done, you need to divide the amount of work that has been completed by the total amount of work. This will give you a decimal number, which can then be converted to a fraction if needed.

3. Can the fraction of the job done be greater than 1?

Yes, the fraction of the job done can be greater than 1. This would mean that more work has been completed than what was originally planned. It is also possible to have a fraction of the job done that is less than 1, meaning that there is still work left to be completed.

4. How can I track the fraction of the job done?

The best way to track the fraction of the job done is to keep a record of the work that has been completed and the total amount of work that needs to be done. This can be done through a spreadsheet or project management software.

5. What can affect the accuracy of the fraction of the job done?

The accuracy of the fraction of the job done can be affected by factors such as changes in the scope of work, unexpected delays, and human error. It is important to regularly reassess and update the fraction of the job done as the project progresses.