How do i find the equivalent voltage source?

In summary, to find the equivalent voltage source of two AC voltage sources in series with the same frequency and phase, the equation is V(t)=(V_{m_1}+V_{m_2}) * sin( \omega *t + \theta ), while for one AC voltage source in series with a DC voltage source, the equation is V(t)=V_{DC}+V_m*sin(\omega *t + \theta).
An1MuS

Homework Statement

How do i find the equivalent voltage source of...

1) Two AC voltage sources in series with same frequency and phase = ?
2) One AC voltage source in series with a DC voltage source = ?

Homework Equations

Equation of a AC voltage source as a function of time [tex]V(t)=V_m * sin( \omega *t + \theta )[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

1) [tex]V(t)=(V_{m_1}+V_{m_2}) * sin( \omega *t + \theta )[/tex]
2) [tex]V(t)=(V_{DC}+V_m) * sin( \omega *t + \theta )[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
An1MuS said:

Homework Statement

How do i find the equivalent voltage source of...

1) Two AC voltage sources in series with same frequency and phase = ?
2) One AC voltage source in series with a DC voltage source = ?

Homework Equations

Equation of a AC voltage source as a function of time [tex]V(t)=V_m * sin( \omega *t + \theta )[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

1) [tex]V(t)=(V_{m_1}+V_{m_2}) * sin( \omega *t + \theta )[/tex]
2) [tex]V(t)=(V_{DC}+V_m) * sin( \omega *t + \theta )[/tex]

Your first answer is correct. The second is not; a DC source is a constant value that does not vary sinusoidally. Suppose you had the two functions f(t) = 4 and g(t) = sin(ωt). What would be the result of adding them: f(t) + g(t) = ?

since f(t) = 4, then adding g(t) + f(t) would be the same as g(t) + 4...

Ah that makes sense, if i add a constant function such as DC current to some other non-constant like the sinusoidal function of AC current, it's like adding it's value, so the answer to b) is

[tex]V(t)=V_{DC}+V_m*sin(\omega *t + \theta)[/tex]

An1MuS said:
since f(t) = 4, then adding g(t) + f(t) would be the same as g(t) + 4...

Ah that makes sense, if i add a constant function such as DC current to some other non-constant like the sinusoidal function of AC current, it's like adding it's value, so the answer to b) is

[tex]V(t)=V_{DC}+V_m*sin(\omega *t + \theta)[/tex]

Much better! :approve:

For both of these situations, the equivalent voltage source can be found by using the superposition principle. This principle states that the total voltage in a circuit is equal to the sum of individual voltage sources.

1) For two AC voltage sources in series with the same frequency and phase, the equivalent voltage source can be found by simply adding the individual voltages. So, the equivalent voltage source would be V(t) = (V_m1 + V_m2) * sin( \omega *t + \theta ).

2) For one AC voltage source in series with a DC voltage source, the equivalent voltage source can be found by considering the DC voltage source as a constant voltage. So, the equivalent voltage source would be V(t) = (V_DC + V_m) * sin( \omega *t + \theta ). This is because the DC voltage does not vary with time, so it can be added to the AC voltage as a constant value.

Related to How do i find the equivalent voltage source?

1. How do I calculate the equivalent voltage source?

The equivalent voltage source can be calculated by using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage equals current multiplied by resistance. If you have multiple voltage sources in a circuit, you can use Kirchhoff's Voltage Law to find the equivalent voltage source.

2. What is the purpose of finding the equivalent voltage source?

Finding the equivalent voltage source is useful in simplifying complex circuits and making them easier to analyze. It allows you to reduce a circuit to a single voltage source and an equivalent resistance, making calculations and predictions more straightforward.

3. What are the steps to finding the equivalent voltage source?

The steps to finding the equivalent voltage source are: 1) Draw the circuit and label all known values; 2) Identify and combine any series or parallel resistors; 3) Apply Kirchhoff's Voltage Law to find the equivalent voltage source; 4) Double-check your calculations and values.

4. Can the equivalent voltage source change over time?

Yes, the equivalent voltage source can change over time if the circuit parameters change. For example, if a resistor in the circuit changes value, the equivalent voltage source will also change. It is important to recalculate the equivalent voltage source if any changes are made to the circuit.

5. Are there any limitations to finding the equivalent voltage source?

The equivalent voltage source is an approximation and may not accurately represent the behavior of the original circuit. It is also important to note that the equivalent voltage source is only valid for DC circuits and may not be applicable to circuits with AC components.