How do I find the equation of this parabola?

• Thread starter Jarfi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parabola
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equation of a parabola given a directrix, focus point, and "way line". The expert summarizer explains that the line of symmetry is perpendicular to the directrix and goes through the focus, and that the vertex must be located on this line. They point out that it is not necessary to shift or mirror the parabola, but to instead rotate it in order to find the equation. The expert then provides specific steps for finding the equation and concludes by stating that the problem has been solved.
Jarfi
How do I find the equation of this parabola??

I am given a parabola with a "way line" l: x+y+2 = 0 and focus point F = (1;1).

How do I find it's equation?

I know I am suppost to shift it in some way and maybe mirror it, not sure how though. Need some help.

The equation of a parabole is y^2 = px, whereas x=-P/4 is the way line and F = (p/4;0) is the focus point.

I assume I am suppost to start with a parabole with focus point

F = (1;0), p = 4 and way line l: x=-1. Now I tried shifting it around (0;1) to get

F = (1;1), p = 4 and way line l: x=-2. I am almost there, but now I lack the Y, where on Earth does that Y come from? where do I go from there?

EDIT: I think going the opposite way is better but I still stop at the same spot:

I get l: x = -y -2 & F = (1;1).

1: shift around (0;-1) get:

x= -(y-1) - 2 = -y -1 & F = (1;0)

I am now closing in but all I need to do is get rid of the "-y". No idea how to do that.

EDIT:

Nevermind. I have found the solution, using the definition of a parabole lPFl = dist(p,l).

Case dismissed.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well done.

One of the tricks is to work out what you have to do to orient the axis so the x-axis passes through the focus and the y-axis is parallel to the directrix ... then the inverse transform on the standard equation will get you the equation of the curve you want. In this case, that's just rotating the axis 45deg - which you see when you sketch it out.

Jarfi said:
I am given a parabola with a "way line" l: x+y+2 = 0 and focus point F = (1;1).
"Way line"? I am not familiar with that- I would say "directrix". In any case, the line of symmetry is perpendicuar to the directrix and goes through the focus. x+ y+ 2= 0 has slope -1 so the line of symmetry must have slope 1. A line with slope 1 is of the form y= x+ b. To go through (1, 1), we must have 1= 1+ b or b= 0. The line of symmetry is y= x.

Further, the vertex must be on that line of symmetry exactly half way between the focus and the directrix. y= x intersects x+ y+ 2= 0 when x+ x+ 2= 0 or x= -1, y= -1. The vertex is at ((-1+ 1)/2, (-1+ 1)/2)= (0, 0) (which simplifies the problem greatly- we do NOT need to translate the graph!).

You do not need to "shift" or "mirror", you need to rotate.

The distance from the vertex to the focus (the "focal length") is [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex].
Write the equation of a parabola with vertex at (0, 0) and focal length [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex].
Call the variables x' and y', reserving x and y for after the rotation.

Because we will have to rotate so that the y' axis becomes the line y= x and the x' axis become y= -x. That's rotation by [itex]\pi/4[/itex] radians so the cosine and sine are both [itex]\sqrt{2}/2[/itex].

How do I find it's equation?

I know I am suppost to shift it in some way and maybe mirror it, not sure how though. Need some help.

The equation of a parabole is y^2 = px, whereas x=-P/4 is the way line and F = (p/4;0) is the focus point.

I assume I am suppost to start with a parabole with focus point

F = (1;0), p = 4 and way line l: x=-1. Now I tried shifting it around (0;1) to get

F = (1;1), p = 4 and way line l: x=-2. I am almost there, but now I lack the Y, where on Earth does that Y come from? where do I go from there?

EDIT: I think going the opposite way is better but I still stop at the same spot:

I get l: x = -y -2 & F = (1;1).

1: shift around (0;-1) get:

x= -(y-1) - 2 = -y -1 & F = (1;0)

I am now closing in but all I need to do is get rid of the "-y". No idea how to do that.

EDIT:

Nevermind. I have found the solution, using the definition of a parabole lPFl = dist(p,l).

Case dismissed.

Related to How do I find the equation of this parabola?

1. What is the general form of a parabola equation?

The general form of a parabola equation is y = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants. This form is known as the standard form of a parabola equation.

2. How do I determine the direction of opening for a parabola?

The direction of opening for a parabola can be determined by looking at the coefficient of the x^2 term. If the coefficient is positive, the parabola opens upwards, and if it is negative, the parabola opens downwards.

3. What is the vertex of a parabola?

The vertex of a parabola is the point where the parabola changes direction. It lies on the axis of symmetry, which is a vertical line that divides the parabola into two equal halves.

4. How do I find the vertex of a parabola?

The x-coordinate of the vertex can be found by using the formula x = -b/2a, where a and b are the coefficients of the x^2 and x terms, respectively. Once the x-coordinate is known, the y-coordinate can be found by substituting the x-value into the equation.

5. Can I find the equation of a parabola if I only have three points?

Yes, you can find the equation of a parabola if you have three points that lie on the parabola. You can set up a system of three equations using the x and y values of the points, and solve for the three unknowns (a, b, and c) to obtain the equation of the parabola.