How do I find the equation of a hyperbola given a point and one asymptote?

In summary, the equation of the northern branch is y = f(x) = sqrt(1 + x*x^2), and the asymptote is y =approx= c*x.
ZeHgS

Homework Statement

1) A hyperbola goes through the point P(6, 2), and one of its asymptotes is the line r: 2x + 5y = 0. Determine its equation.

2) Prove that a line parallel to one asymptote of a hyperbola interesects it in a single point.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I spent almost two hours on that first problem and tried everything I could, it sounds so fing simple yet I couldn't figure it out. Everything I tried filled up 3-4 pages of my notebook. I must not have understood some basic concept. I'm not going to transcribe everything here because I think it would be pointless, but please believe me when I said I tried it until I couldn't stand it anymore. If you guys could just point me in the right direction...

For the second one I equaled y = sqrt(b2 * (x2/a2 - 1)) which I got from the reduced equation of a hyperbola to y = bx/a + d). I ended up with (b2 - b)*x2 + (2dba)*x + (d2a2 + a2b2). Then I supposed B2 - 4AC should equal 0, which would mean it had only one solution but I just got a really ugly equation and couldn't see why it would equal 0.

Please help I'm almost committing suicide over these two.

Physics news on Phys.org

ZeHgS said:

Homework Statement

1) A hyperbola goes through the point P(6, 2), and one of its asymptotes is the line r: 2x + 5y = 0. Determine its equation.

2) Prove that a line parallel to one asymptote of a hyperbola interesects it in a single point.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I spent almost two hours on that first problem and tried everything I could, it sounds so fing simple yet I couldn't figure it out. Everything I tried filled up 3-4 pages of my notebook. I must not have understood some basic concept. I'm not going to transcribe everything here because I think it would be pointless, but please believe me when I said I tried it until I couldn't stand it anymore. If you guys could just point me in the right direction...

For the second one I equaled y = sqrt(b2 * (x2/a2 - 1)) which I got from the reduced equation of a hyperbola to y = bx/a + d). I ended up with (b2 - b)*x2 + (2dba)*x + (d2a2 + a2b2). Then I supposed B2 - 4AC should equal 0, which would mean it had only one solution but I just got a really ugly equation and couldn't see why it would equal 0.

Please help I'm almost committing suicide over these two.

(a) Try an equation of the form y^2 - a*x^2 = b, where a,b > 0. The {y<0} branch of the hyperbola is y = -sqrt(1 + a*x^2), from which you can get the asymptotic form y =approx= c*x for large x (for some 'c' you need to determine), and match it with the asymptote 5y + 2x = 0. So, now you have one of the parameters 'a' or 'b'. Use this in the equation of the {y > 0} branch, y = +sqrt(b + a*x^2), and use P(6,2) information to get the other parameter.

(b) Suppose the asymptotes run southwest-northeast and southeast-northwest, and suppose the two branches of the hyperbola are in the north and south sectors. Look at the northern branch y = f(x), and note that the slope of the tangent line, f'(x), increases strictly as x increases; the limiting slope as x --> infinity is the asymptote's slope. With this hint you may proceed further.

RGV

Got it, thank you!

Related to How do I find the equation of a hyperbola given a point and one asymptote?

1. What is a hyperbola in mathematics?

A hyperbola is a type of conic section that is formed by the intersection of a plane with a double cone. It is characterized by its two branches that are symmetric about its center and its two asymptotes that approach each branch infinitely.

2. How do you graph a hyperbola?

To graph a hyperbola, you will need to find the center, vertices, foci, and asymptotes. Plot these points and then sketch the two branches of the hyperbola connecting the vertices and passing through the foci. Finally, draw the asymptotes passing through the center and intersecting the branches at their vertices.

3. What is the equation of a hyperbola?

The general equation of a hyperbola is (x - h)^2 / a^2 - (y - k)^2 / b^2 = 1, where (h,k) is the center of the hyperbola and a and b are the lengths of the transverse and conjugate axes, respectively.

4. How do you solve equations involving hyperbolas?

To solve equations involving hyperbolas, you can use algebraic methods such as substitution or elimination, or you can use graphical methods by graphing both sides of the equation and finding the points of intersection.

5. What are some real-life applications of hyperbolas?

Hyperbolas have many real-life applications, including in astronomy to describe the orbits of planets and comets, in architecture to design arches and vaults, and in physics to model the trajectories of projectiles in motion.