How do I find the equation of a derivative using a TI-84?

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for checking the correctness of an equation. While the TI-84 does not have the ability for symbolic execution, Wolfram Alpha can be used as an alternative. Another option is to use a CAS (computer algebra system) like Mathematica or the TI-89, which can also provide a solution.
gonzalohiguain
I want to know how to do this so after I find the equation by hand, I can check to see if I am correct.

I don't know about the TI-84, but Wolfram Alpha will do it and is easy to use.

www.wolframalpha.com

Ti 84 does not do symbolic execution. I guess you can go to the plotter and input
Math->differentiate(f(a),a,0,x) as y1(x)
and what you think the derivative is as y2(x)
and see if they line up, or test certain values numerically.

But yah, the best option is to use a CAS, such as Mathematica/WolframAlpha or the TI 89

Related to How do I find the equation of a derivative using a TI-84?

1. How do I enter a function into my TI-84 calculator?

To enter a function into your TI-84 calculator, press the "Y=" button and use the arrow keys to navigate to the desired function. Then, use the "=" button to enter the equation and press "Enter" to save it.

2. How do I find the derivative of a function on my TI-84 calculator?

To find the derivative of a function on your TI-84 calculator, navigate to the "CALC" menu and select "dy/dx." Enter the function and press "Enter" to see the derivative equation.

3. Can I find the derivative of a function at a specific point on my TI-84 calculator?

Yes, you can find the derivative of a function at a specific point on your TI-84 calculator by using the "dy/dx" feature in the "CALC" menu. Simply enter the function and the desired point and press "Enter" to see the derivative at that point.

4. How do I graph the derivative of a function on my TI-84 calculator?

To graph the derivative of a function on your TI-84 calculator, enter the function into the "Y=" menu and then navigate to the "MODE" menu. Select "Deriv" and then press "Graph" to see the graph of the derivative.

5. Can I find the second derivative of a function on my TI-84 calculator?

Yes, you can find the second derivative of a function on your TI-84 calculator by using the "dy2/dx2" feature in the "CALC" menu. Enter the original function and press "Enter" to see the second derivative equation.