How do i find gravity given a radius and an altitude?

In summary, the acceleration due to gravity at an altitude of 1.00 x 10^6 m above the Earth's surface is approximately 7.33 m/s^2. This can be calculated using the formula g = Go(re/(re+h))^2, with Go representing the acceleration due to gravity on Earth, re representing the radius of the Earth, and h representing the given altitude. It is important to include units in calculations to avoid errors.
gcombina

Homework Statement

What is the acceleration due to gravity at an altitude of 1.00 x 10^6 above the Earth's surface, given that the radius of the Earth is 6.38 x 10^6 m?
How do i go about solving that?

Homework Equations

Using g = Gm/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

g= GMm/(R+h)^2
R= radio of earth
H= height/altitude given

so

g = (6.67300 x 10^-11) (m) / [(6.38 x 10^6 m) + (1.00 x 10^6)]^2

*** my question is, what do I put as M and m? **

Physics news on Phys.org
gcombina said:

Homework Statement

What is the acceleration due to gravity at an altitude of 1.00 x 10^6 above the Earth's surface, given that the radius of the Earth is 6.38 x 10^6 m?

Homework Equations

Using g = Gm/r^2

g= GMm/(R+h)^2
R= radio of earth
H= height/altitude given

so

In your Relevant equations your formula for gravitational acceleration contains only one "m", and it represents the mass of the body that is causing the acceleration. In this case what is the object?

In your problem statement the "m" on the radius of the Earth is the units: m for meters. There should be units associated with the altitude figure, too. What are they?

It is very important to keep the units associated with values. You don't want to be mixing miles with centimeters in a calculation! Instructors will deduct marks if units are left off of results.

gcombina said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Using g = Gm/r^2

g= GMm/(R+h)^2
R= radio of earth
H= height/altitude given

so

You need not put M, actually the acceleration due to gravity on Earth is well known constant it is g=9.8 m/s^2
so put this value for GM/R^2 so you can calculate value of GM as you know radius of Earth R for acceleration due to gravity at height h now you calculate the Force on unit mass i.e. m =1 kg then you get result for value of g at an altitude.(actually Force per unit mass is acceleration; in your expression given above you have erroneously written g istead of force using Newton's law of gravitation

Gravity at altitude of 10^6 m
Gh = Go(re/(re+h))^2
Go = 9.80665 m/s^2
re = 6367444.7 m
h = 1,000,000 m
Gh = 7.33 m/s^2

Related to How do i find gravity given a radius and an altitude?

1. What is the formula for finding gravity given a radius and an altitude?

The formula for finding gravity given a radius and an altitude is: G = (M / (r + h)^2), where G is the gravitational constant (6.67 x 10^-11 m^3/kg*s^2), M is the mass of the object, r is the radius of the object, and h is the altitude.

2. How do I determine the mass of an object to calculate gravity?

The mass of an object can be determined by using its density and volume. The formula for mass is: M = ρ * V, where ρ is the density and V is the volume. You can also find the mass of an object by looking it up online or using a scale.

3. Can I use this formula to calculate gravity for any object?

Yes, this formula can be used to calculate the gravitational force for any object, as long as you have the necessary information about the object's mass, radius, and altitude.

4. How does altitude affect gravity?

As altitude increases, the distance between an object and the center of the Earth increases. This results in a decrease in the gravitational force because the gravitational force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two objects.

5. Is there a certain unit of measurement I should use for the radius and altitude in this formula?

The radius and altitude should be measured in meters (m) for this formula to work properly. If the radius and altitude are given in other units, they should be converted to meters before plugging them into the formula.