How do I find di_L(0)/dt for a second order RLC circuit after the switch opens?

In summary, the discussion revolved around finding the current as a function of time in a circuit with a switch that opens at t=0. The initial current was determined to be -4 and the voltage on the capacitor to be 8. The signs of the potential changes were discussed, with the assumption that the current flows into the component and the "+" reference is at the terminal where the current enters. The use of a state variable approach was suggested as a possible solution method. The conversation concluded with the realization that understanding the positive and negative signs is crucial in accurately solving the problem.
Jebus_Chris
http://imgur.com/6aAMV

So I need to find the current labeled as a function of time. THe switch opens at t=0 and I drew the circuit after the switch opens.

I found the initial current to be -4 and the voltage on the capacitor to be 8.

I'm having trouble trying to find [itex]di_L(0)/dt[/itex]. I know you just need to do a simple loop around the whole circuit, [itex]v_c+v_l+v_r=0[/itex]. The problem is I don't know the signs of the voltages, or rather I don't know what they should be. I get either [itex]di_L(0)/dt = -40/10, -24/10[/itex].
Same for finding the second order eq.
[itex]1/c\int i_c+ L di_L/dt + 8 i_L = 0[/itex] Simple loop around the outside. Are signs correct?
and
[itex]i_c - i_L - V_2/2 = 0[/itex] Node equation at the top node, V is equal to the voltage across the inductor and 8 ohm resistor so substitute

[itex] i_c - i_L - 1/2 (Ldi_L/dt + 8i_L)=0[/itex]
Substitute the third into the first, do algebra, and find answer.
That part should be easy. What I need to know is whether the signs are correct. That is, when doing kichoff mesh and nodes how do you know what is positive and negative [or rather what side the element should be placed on]?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The signs of the potential changes are determined by the assumed direction of the current. The components of capacitance and inductance have their equations defined assuming a current directed into the component and the "+" reference at the terminal where the current enters.

attachment.php?attachmentid=53095&stc=1&d=1353273440.gif

Note, for example, that in the above figure for the inductor that a small positive going change in current "dI" results in a positive change in the voltage across the inductor, thus giving the equation V = L dI/dt. Similarly for the capacitor, a positive current flowing into the capacitor increases the potential across the capacitor over time.

For this problem I would probably solve it using a state variable (Laplace Transform) approach, since it handles all the initial condition details easily. Having a good table of Laplace transforms helps :smile:

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    1.2 KB · Views: 473
I think I finally understand this + and -.
I picked the current going to the right around the loop. Labeled each element with a plus and minus, current entered the plus so each one is positive. Blah blah balh, it all worked out.

Related to How do I find di_L(0)/dt for a second order RLC circuit after the switch opens?

1. What is a second order RLC circuit?

A second order RLC circuit is an electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C) connected in series or parallel. It is called a second order circuit because it contains two energy storage elements (inductor and capacitor) and is described by a second order differential equation.

2. What is the purpose of a second order RLC circuit?

The purpose of a second order RLC circuit is to control the flow of current in an electrical circuit. It can be used as a filter to block certain frequencies or to amplify certain frequencies. It is also commonly used in electronic devices such as radios, televisions, and audio amplifiers.

3. How does a second order RLC circuit behave?

The behavior of a second order RLC circuit depends on the values of the resistor, inductor, and capacitor. It can behave as a low-pass filter, high-pass filter, or band-pass filter. It also has the ability to resonate at a specific frequency, where the impedance of the circuit is at its minimum and the current is at its maximum.

4. What is the difference between a series and parallel second order RLC circuit?

In a series RLC circuit, the components (resistor, inductor, and capacitor) are connected in a single loop, while in a parallel RLC circuit, the components are connected in multiple branches. The behavior and analysis of these two circuits are different, as the impedance and resonance frequencies are calculated differently.

5. How is a second order RLC circuit analyzed?

A second order RLC circuit can be analyzed using Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law. The differential equation that describes the circuit can also be solved using techniques such as Laplace transforms or by using a circuit analysis software. The behavior of the circuit can also be visualized using a Bode plot, which shows the frequency response of the circuit.