How Do I Find a Point on a Curve with a Specific Slope?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathdad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Point
In summary, the purpose of finding point P is to determine its exact location on a graph or in a coordinate system. To find point P, at least one coordinate pair is needed, and there are various methods for doing so. It is important to find point P accurately for precise measurements and calculations. Point P can also be found in three-dimensional space using a coordinate system with three axes.
mathdad
Find a point P on the curve y = sqrt{x} such that the slope of the line through P and (1, 1) is 1/4.

Must I use the slope-intercept formula here?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
RTCNTC said:
Find a point P on the curve y = sqrt{x} such that the slope of the line through P and (1, 1) is 1/4.

Must I use the slope-intercept formula here?

Just the slope formula, with the points (1, 1) and $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left( x, \sqrt{x} \right) \end{align*}$.

Prove It said:
Just the slope formula, with the points (1, 1) and $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left( x, \sqrt{x} \right) \end{align*}$.

I can take it from here.

Related to How Do I Find a Point on a Curve with a Specific Slope?

What is the purpose of finding point P?

The purpose of finding point P is to determine the exact location of a specific point on a graph or in a coordinate system.

What information is needed to find point P?

To find point P, you will need at least one coordinate pair, such as (x, y) or (latitude, longitude).

What are some methods for finding point P?

There are several methods for finding point P, including using a ruler and protractor to measure the coordinates on a graph, using a GPS device to determine the latitude and longitude, or using mathematical equations to calculate the coordinates.

Why is it important to find point P accurately?

Finding point P accurately is important because it allows for precise and reliable measurements and calculations, which can be crucial in scientific research and experiments.

Can point P be found in three-dimensional space?

Yes, point P can be found in three-dimensional space using a coordinate system with three axes, such as the x, y, and z axes. This allows for the location of a point in three-dimensional space to be determined with greater accuracy.