How do I find a limit with two variables?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the limit of a complex expression with two variables. The answer is determined by setting both variables to specific values, in this case a = -3/2 and b = 1. The final expression for the limit is ##\frac{(1-3x/2)^{1/3}}{xln(1+x)}-\frac{arctan(x)}{x^3}##, and it can be solved by plugging in the values for a and b and simplifying the expression.
Jarfi
How do I find a limit with two variables?

Homework Statement

lim(x->0)((1+ax)^(1/3)/(xln(1+x))-(arctan(bx)/(x^3))

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=lim%28x-%3E0%29%28%281%2Bax%29^%281%2F3%29%2F%28xln%281%2Bx%29%29-%28arctan%28bx%29%2F%28x^3%29%29
I understand that since the denominator x^3ln(1+x)---> 0 then the counter must also go to zero.

But what I do not understand is that since the counter has TWO variables, I always get a function of those two, instead of a solution of each.

The answer in WA isn't even sensible eitherUPDATE:

I have figured some of it, found out that

a= -3/2 and b= 1

Now how do I find the limit?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jarfi said:

Homework Statement

lim(x->0)((1+ax)^(1/3)/(xln(1+x))-(arctan(bx)/(x^3))

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=lim%28x-%3E0%29%28%281%2Bax%29^%281%2F3%29%2F%28xln%281%2Bx%29%29-%28arctan%28bx%29%2F%28x^3%29%29

I understand that since the denominator x^3ln(1+x)---> 0 then the counter must also go to zero.

But what I do not understand is that since the counter has TWO variables, I always get a function of those two, instead of a solution of each.

The answer in WA isn't even sensible either

UPDATE:

I have figured some of it, found out that

a= -3/2 and b= 1

Now how do I find the limit?

What I don't understand is what the expression you are trying to find the limit of is. Your parentheses don't match up. Is it ##\frac{(1+ax)^{1/3}}{xln(1+x)-\frac{arctan(bx)}{x^3}}##? Or ##\frac{(1+ax)^{1/3}}{xln(1+x)}-\frac{arctan(bx)}{x^3}##? Or something else?

Dick said:
What I don't understand is what the expression you are trying to find the limit of is. Your parentheses don't match up. Is it ##\frac{(1+ax)^{1/3}}{xln(1+x)-\frac{arctan(bx)}{x^3}}##? Or ##\frac{(1+ax)^{1/3}}{xln(1+x)}-\frac{arctan(bx)}{x^3}##? Or something else?

it is:

##\frac{(1+ax)^{1/3}}{xln(1+x)}-\frac{arctan(bx)}{x^3}##

And i have solved it now

Related to How do I find a limit with two variables?

1. What is a limit with two variables?

A limit with two variables is a mathematical concept used to determine the behavior of a function as both of its independent variables approach a specific point or value. It can help us understand the behavior of a function at a specific point or as it approaches infinity.

2. How do I determine if a limit with two variables exists?

In order for a limit with two variables to exist, the value of the function at a specific point must approach the same value regardless of the direction from which the independent variables approach that point. This is known as the existence of a two-sided limit. If the values approach different values from different directions, the limit does not exist.

3. Can a limit with two variables be evaluated using algebraic methods?

In most cases, it is not possible to evaluate a limit with two variables using algebraic methods. This is because the limit involves the behavior of the function at a specific point, and algebraic methods cannot accurately predict the behavior of a function at a specific point.

4. What are some common techniques for finding limits with two variables?

One common technique for finding limits with two variables is to use a graph or table of values to visualize the behavior of the function as the variables approach the specific point. Another technique is to use substitution, where the values of the variables are substituted into the function to see if a pattern emerges.

5. How can limits with two variables be useful in real-world situations?

Limits with two variables can be useful in many real-world situations, such as predicting the behavior of a physical system or analyzing the efficiency of a process. They can also help us understand the relationship between two variables and make predictions about their behavior in different scenarios.