How Do Magnetic Forces Affect Parallel Current-Carrying Wires?

In summary, the net magnetic force per unit length on each wire is equal to (mu0*I^2)/(2*pi*d), with the direction depending on the location of the wire.
eku_girl83
Three parallel wires each carry current I in the direction shown in the figure (file attached). If the separation between adjacent wires is d, calculate the magnitude and direction of the net magnetic force per unit length on each wire.
a) What is the magnetic force on the top wire?
I think the direction is up, but I don't know how to find the magnitude.
b) What is the magnetic force on the middle wire?
I know this is zero
c) What is the magnetic force on the bottom wire?

I also know that net magnetic force per unit length is equal to (mu0*I*I')/(2*pi*r).
mu0=4*pi*10^-7

Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• 29-32.gif
    29-32.gif
    3 KB · Views: 471
Physics news on Phys.org
a) The magnetic force on the top wire is downwards, with a magnitude of (mu0*I^2)/(2*pi*d). b) The middle wire experiences no net magnetic force. c) The force on the bottom wire is upwards, with a magnitude of (mu0*I^2)/(2*pi*d).

a) The magnetic force on the top wire can be calculated using the formula for the net magnetic force per unit length. The direction of the force will be upwards, as the current in the top wire is going into the page, and the magnetic field created by the other two wires is into the page as well. The magnitude of the force can be found by plugging in the values into the formula. So, the magnetic force on the top wire would be (4*pi*10^-7 * I * I)/(2*pi*d) = (2*10^-7 * I^2)/d, where I is the current in each wire and d is the separation between adjacent wires.

b) The magnetic force on the middle wire will indeed be zero, as the magnetic fields created by the other two wires will cancel each other out. This can be seen by drawing the magnetic field lines and noticing that they are in opposite directions and cancel each other out.

c) The magnetic force on the bottom wire can also be calculated using the same formula as in part a. However, in this case, the direction of the force will be downwards, as the current in the bottom wire is going out of the page, and the magnetic field created by the other two wires is into the page. So, the magnitude of the force would be the same as in part a, but the direction will be downwards.

1. What is magnetic force?

Magnetic force refers to the attractive or repulsive force between two magnets or a magnet and a magnetic material. It is caused by the interaction of magnetic fields.

2. How is magnetic force calculated?

Magnetic force is calculated using the equation F = qvBsinθ, where F is the magnetic force, q is the charge of the particle, v is the velocity of the particle, B is the magnetic field, and θ is the angle between the velocity and the magnetic field.

3. What is the direction of magnetic force?

The direction of magnetic force is perpendicular to both the direction of the magnetic field and the direction of the velocity of the charged particle. This is known as the right-hand rule.

4. How does magnetic force affect the motion of a charged particle?

Magnetic force can cause a charged particle to change its direction of motion, but it cannot change its speed. The particle will move in a circular path if the magnetic force is perpendicular to its velocity, or in a helical path if the force is at an angle.

5. What are some real-world applications of magnetic force?

Magnetic force is used in many everyday objects, such as electric motors, generators, and speakers. It is also used in medical imaging technology, such as MRI machines, and in particle accelerators for scientific research.