How do I factor 16x^4 - x^2y^2 + y^4?

• Thread starter moe darklight
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factoring
In summary, the conversation is about a person struggling with a math problem involving completing the square. They initially make a mistake in reducing the equation, but with the help of others, they are able to correctly factor it as (4x^2 + y^2)^2 - 9xy^2.
moe darklight
[SOLVED] reviewing pre... factoring

Homework Statement

I bought a Schaum's with Precalculus questions; figured I'd review my pre. I'm not as rusty as I thought I'd be... but I'm screwing up this question for some reason:

[tex]16x^{4}-x^{2}y^{2}+y^{4}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]4x^{2}-xy+y^{2}[/tex]

[tex]4x^{2}+4xy+y^{2}-xy-4xy[/tex]

[tex](2x+y)^{2}-3xy[/tex]

?? I'm doing something wrong here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Complete the square: [tex](4x^2 + y^2) = 16x^4 + 8x^2y^2 + y^4[/tex].

So now express what you have as a difference between the perfect square, and another number =]

how did you get [tex](4x^2 + y^2)[/tex] from [tex](2x+y)^{2}[/tex]? wouldn't it be [tex](4x^2 + y^2)^{2}[/tex]? ... I'm guessing it's a typo, or else I'm really lost :bugeye: :smile:

ok, [tex]16x^4 + 8x^2y^2 + y^4[/tex] leaves me with [tex](4x^{2}+y^{2})^{2}-3xy[/tex] ... but wouldn't that [tex]3xy[/tex] have to be a [tex]3xy^{2}[/tex] for me to be able to do a difference of a square? ... right now it's an [tex]a^{2}-b[/tex]

EDIT: post #4

ugh, things like this frustrate me. I'll be doing just fine, and then a simple question like this comes along that I get all wrong... I wish I'd taken math in high school

Last edited:
wait... I square all of [tex]4x^{2}+4xy+y^{2}-3xy[/tex] and get

[tex](4x^{2}+y^{2})^{2}-9xy^{2}[/tex]

[tex](4x^{2}+y^{2}-3xy)(4x^{2}+y^{2}+3xy)[/tex]

right? ... you know, maybe the doctor's right and I do need Ritalin after all :rolleyes:.

Last edited:
Well your first mistake is wrongly reducing [tex]16x^{4}-x^{2}y^{2}+y^{4}[/tex] to [tex]4x^{2}-xy+y^{2}[/tex]. What I am sure you meant was that [tex]16x^{4}-x^{2}y^{2}+y^{4} =4u^{2}-uv+v^{2} [/tex] where u= 4x^2 and v=y^2.

Instead, from post 2, we can see what you have is [tex](4x^{2}+y^{2})^{2}-9xy^{2}[/tex], which you did factor properly =]

o boy :blushing: there we go. thanks :biggrin:

Related to How do I factor 16x^4 - x^2y^2 + y^4?

1. What is the purpose of reviewing pre-factoring?

The purpose of reviewing pre-factoring is to identify and correct any errors or inconsistencies in the pre-factored data before it is used for further analysis or research.

2. What are the key steps involved in reviewing pre-factoring?

The key steps in reviewing pre-factoring include checking for data accuracy, ensuring all relevant data is included, identifying any outliers or anomalies, and verifying the appropriateness of the chosen pre-factoring method.

3. How can reviewing pre-factoring improve the validity of research findings?

By carefully reviewing the pre-factored data, researchers can ensure that their results are based on accurate and reliable information. This, in turn, improves the validity and credibility of their research findings.

4. What are some common challenges faced during the process of reviewing pre-factoring?

Some common challenges include dealing with incomplete or missing data, identifying and addressing errors in the pre-factored data, and selecting the most appropriate pre-factoring method for the specific dataset.

5. What are some best practices for reviewing pre-factoring?

Some best practices include using multiple reviewers to check for accuracy and consistency, documenting all steps taken during the review process, and seeking input and feedback from colleagues or experts in the field.