How do I expand Reynold's transport theorem using the given equation?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to derive an equation by using the Reynolds transport theorem and a one-dimensional Reynold's transport equation. The equations are simplified by substituting for v1 and v2 and using a tutorial on LateX. The conversation also includes a clarification on the meaning of f', which is used to simplify the equations.
kev931210

Homework Statement

cap2.PNG

Homework Equations

one dimensional Reynold's transport theorem
upload_2016-4-26_13-33-18.png

The Attempt at a Solution

upload_2016-4-26_13-33-49.png
[/B]

I started with this equation, and tried to expand it using the equation given in #2.

upload_2016-4-26_13-46-13.png

This is the farthest I have gotten so far. I got stuck from here. I do not know how to get from the shaded equation to the equation below.
upload_2016-4-26_13-42-33.png

Can anyone help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
help please .. I just want to pass (and learn) :cry:

helpppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

Substitute ##v_1=\frac{dx_1}{dt}## and ##v_2=\frac{dx_2}{dt}## into your second equation. What does that give you? Incidentally, the ##f\rho##'s in this equation should be evaluated at 1 and 2.

Likes kev931210
cap5.PNG

Sorry, there was some typo in my question. So, I ended up with the above equation using your advice, but it doesn't seem to get me any further. Both f and p are functions of (x,t), so it's hard for me to simplify easily. Is there any relation that can let me convert the above equation to the below equation?

cap5.PNG

Attachments

• cap5.PNG
    cap5.PNG
    5.4 KB · Views: 420
Maybe it would help if I wrote your expression using LateX, which you should learn from the PF tutorial:

$$\int_{x_1}^{x_2}{\left(\rho\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}+f\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t}\right)dx}+(\rho v f)_{x_2}-(\rho vf)_{x_1}$$

Does this give you any ideas?

Likes kev931210
No .. sorry I'm not an advanced student in Physics. Is there any physics theory or mathematical trick I can use from that point? I have no clue what to do from that point. I was stuck there for long time.

kev931210 said:
No .. sorry I'm not an advanced student in Physics. Is there any physics theory or mathematical trick I can use from that point? I have no clue what to do from that point. I was stuck there for long time.
$$(\rho v f)_{x_2}-(\rho vf)_{x_1}=\int_{x_1}^{x_2}{\frac{\partial (\rho vf)}{\partial x}dx}$$

Likes kev931210
Sorry, I could not find the tutorial, and ended up not using latex to write the equations.
cp3.PNG

This is what I have based on your advise.

In order to derive the equation given by the question, the following equation needs to be true:

upload_2016-4-28_2-44-59.png

If f is independent of x, I can easily extract f, and prove the above equation by using the mass balance equation. However, f is a function of x and t, so I am not so sure how I can derive the above equation...

kev931210 said:
Sorry, I could not find the tutorial, and ended up not using latex to write the equations.View attachment 99882
The f' they are referring to is not ##=\partial f/\partial t##. It is $$f'=\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}+v\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}$$

Likes kev931210
Oh... that makes sense. Thank you so much!

kev931210 said:
Oh... that makes sense. Thank you so much!
So you got it now?

Yes I got it now. It simplified quite easily with your help. Thank you.

Related to How do I expand Reynold's transport theorem using the given equation?

What is Reynold's Transport Theorem?

Reynold's Transport Theorem is a fundamental principle in fluid mechanics that relates changes in a fluid property to the rate of change of that property within a control volume.

What is the difference between Reynold's Transport Theorem and the Continuity Equation?

The Continuity Equation is a special case of Reynold's Transport Theorem that applies specifically to mass conservation in a steady flow. Reynold's Transport Theorem is a more general principle that can be applied to any fluid property and any type of flow.

Why is Reynold's Transport Theorem important?

Reynold's Transport Theorem is important because it allows us to mathematically describe the transport of fluid properties, such as mass, momentum, and energy, in a control volume. This is essential for understanding and predicting the behavior of fluids in various applications, such as in engineering and environmental systems.

What are the assumptions made in Reynold's Transport Theorem?

The main assumptions of Reynold's Transport Theorem are that the fluid is continuous, that it obeys the laws of conservation of mass, momentum, and energy, and that it can be described using a set of differential equations.

How is Reynold's Transport Theorem applied in practical situations?

Reynold's Transport Theorem is applied in practical situations by using it to derive equations that can be solved for specific fluid properties, such as the Navier-Stokes equations for fluid flow. It is also used in numerical simulations and experiments to analyze and predict the behavior of fluids in various systems.