How do I expand (1 + x)^{2}(1 - 5x)^{14} as a series of powers of x?

In summary: You need to identify which terms in the expansions will result in terms of order ##x^2## or lower and keep track of those.
BOAS
Hello,

I have a problem regarding the binomial theorem and a number of questions about what I can and can't do.

Homework Statement

Write the binomial expansion of [itex](1 + x)^{2}(1 - 5x)^{14}[/itex] as a series of powers of [itex]x[/itex] as far as the term in [itex]x^{2}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to expand each bracket separately but I'm really unsure of how to proceed with one multiplied by the other.

Do I expand the first one, and have that as a factor of every term in the expansion of the second?

i.e [itex](1 + x)^{2} = 1 + x^{2} + 2x[/itex]

[itex](1 - 5x)^{14} \approx 1 - 70x - 455x^{2}[/itex]

[itex](1 + x)^{2}(1 - 5x)^{14} \approx 1(1 + x^{2} + 2x) - 70x(1 + x^{2} + 2x) - 455x^{2}(1 + x^{2} + 2x)[/itex]

[itex](1 + x)^{2}(1 - 5x)^{14} \approx 1 + 2x + x^{2} - 70x - 140x^{2} - 70x^{3} - 455x^{2} - 910x^{3} - 455x^{4}[/itex]

I get the feeling that this is wrong, but I can't find any similar examples in my textbook or notes. If this happens to be the correct method, have I included to high powers? The individual expansions only reach [itex]x^{2}[/itex], but when they are combined, clearly it goes higher.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The ##x^2## term in the expansion for ##(1-5x)^{14}## should be positive. Your work is otherwise okay, but you didn't need to calculate the ##x^3## and ##x^4## terms. You just want to identify which products will result in terms of order ##x^2## or lower and keep track of those.

vela said:
The ##x^2## term in the expansion for ##(1-5x)^{14}## should be positive. Your work is otherwise okay, but you didn't need to calculate the ##x^3## and ##x^4## terms. You just want to identify which products will result in terms of order ##x^2## or lower and keep track of those.

Ah, I forgot to square the coefficient. It should be;

[itex](1 - 5x)^{14} \approx 1 - 70x + 2275x^{2}[/itex]

wrt the rest of your post, does that mean I should approximate the two expansions only to the 'x' terms? Or do as before and ignore the higher powers?

Thanks for the help.

You have to keep up to at least the ##x^2## terms because they will contribute to the final result.

vela said:
You have to keep up to at least the ##x^2## terms because they will contribute to the final result.

So,

[itex](1 + x)^{2}(1 - 5x)^{14} \approx 1(1 + 2x + x^{2}) - 70x(1 + 2x + x^{2}) + 2275x^{2}(1 + 2x + x^{2})[/itex]

[itex](1 + x)^{2}(1 - 5x)^{14} \approx 1 + 2x + x^{2} - 70x - 140x^2 + 2275x^{2}[/itex]

[itex](1 + x)^{2}(1 - 5x)^{14} \approx 1 - 68x + 2136x^2[/itex]

I think this is what you meant when you said to keep track of the products that would give me [itex]x^2[/itex] and lower.

Yup, and you can streamline it a bit further:
$$(1 + x)^{2}(1 - 5x)^{14} \approx 1(1 + 2x + x^{2}) - 70x(1 + 2x) + 2275x^{2}(1)$$

vela said:
Yup, and you can streamline it a bit further:
$$(1 + x)^{2}(1 - 5x)^{14} \approx 1(1 + 2x + x^{2}) - 70x(1 + 2x) + 2275x^{2}(1)$$

Cool - Thank you

BOAS said:
[itex](1 + x)^{2}(1 - 5x)^{14} \approx 1 - 68x + 2136x^2[/itex]

That's correct. Although it might be interesting to consider for what values of x that approximation is accurate!

PeroK said:
That's correct. Although it might be interesting to consider for what values of x that approximation is accurate!

My expansion for [itex](1 + x)^{2}[/itex] was exact, but not every term of it was used when mutliplying with the second expansion.

My expansion for [itex](1 - 5x)^{14}[/itex] holds provided that [itex] -1 < -5x < 1[/itex] so [itex] \frac{1}{5} > x > - \frac{1}{5}[/itex]

I don't know how I combine this information.

Related to How do I expand (1 + x)^{2}(1 - 5x)^{14} as a series of powers of x?

1. What is the Binomial Theorem problem?

The Binomial Theorem problem is a mathematical concept that involves expanding a binomial expression with a power, such as (x + y)^n, where n is a positive integer. It is used to simplify and solve equations involving binomial expressions.

2. What is the formula for the Binomial Theorem?

The formula for the Binomial Theorem is (a + b)^n = Σ(n, k)a^(n-k)b^k, where n is the power, k is the term number, a and b are the binomial terms, and Σ(n, k) represents the summation of all terms from k = 0 to n.

3. How is the Binomial Theorem used in real life?

The Binomial Theorem has many practical applications in fields such as finance, physics, and biology. For example, it can be used to calculate compound interest, model projectile motion, and analyze genetic inheritance patterns.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving Binomial Theorem problems?

Some common mistakes when solving Binomial Theorem problems include forgetting to distribute the exponent to each term, miscounting the number of terms in the expansion, and making errors in simplifying the terms. It is important to carefully follow the formula and double check calculations to avoid these mistakes.

5. How can I improve my understanding of the Binomial Theorem?

To improve your understanding of the Binomial Theorem, it is helpful to practice solving a variety of problems, familiarize yourself with the formula and its applications, and seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed. Additionally, understanding the underlying concepts of exponents and combinatorics can also aid in understanding the Binomial Theorem.