How Do I Draw a Scale Diagram for Two Forces Acting on an Object?

In summary, the conversation is about a question involving two forces acting on an object and how to draw a scale diagram to determine the resulting net force. The professor did not explain this concept and the person is seeking help from others. Doctor Al provides a clear explanation of how to properly add the forces using a graphical representation. The person is grateful and plans to try out the suggested method.
Physicshelpneeded
hey all...

Im having trouble with a question here that asks when only 2 forces act on an object (1: 8.0 to the right, 2: 12.0 N to the left) draw a scale diagram to determine the magnitude and direction of the resulting NET force.

anyone know how to do this?
anyone know how to draw a scale diagram PERIOD?

My professor forgot to explain this part but of course expects me to know the answer and do the homework correctly :frown: :mad:

anyways, thanks guys

Physics news on Phys.org
He wants you to add those force vectors graphically: draw the first vector, then draw the second vector by placing its tail at the tip of the first vector, the sum is a vector from the tail of the first to the tip of the second. (Check your book if that's not clear.)

To add them properly, make sure that each vector is drawn to scale: that just means the length of the arrow should be proportional to the magnitude of the vector. For example: if you represent the 8 N force with an arrow 2 inches long, then the 12 N force better be an arrow 3 inches long.

wow, thanks a lot Doctor Al...that really helped me alot! :biggrin: ill do everything u suggested and see how it works out - thanks again :smile:

Related to How Do I Draw a Scale Diagram for Two Forces Acting on an Object?

1. What is a scale diagram and what is it used for?

A scale diagram is a graphical representation of an object or space that is drawn to a specific proportion. It is used to accurately represent the size and dimensions of an object or space in a smaller, more manageable way.

2. Why do I need to use a scale diagram?

Scale diagrams are useful for a variety of reasons. They can help with planning and designing projects, accurately representing measurements, and visualizing spatial relationships between objects.

3. How do I choose the appropriate scale for my diagram?

The scale for a diagram depends on the size and complexity of the object or space being represented. Generally, the larger the object or space, the smaller the scale should be in order to fit it on the page. It is also important to consider the level of detail needed in the diagram.

4. Can I change the scale of my diagram after I have already drawn it?

In most cases, it is not recommended to change the scale of a diagram after it has been drawn. This can result in inaccurate measurements and proportions. It is best to carefully plan and choose the appropriate scale before beginning the diagram.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when creating a scale diagram?

One common mistake is not accurately measuring or scaling all dimensions of the object or space. It is important to measure and scale all sides and angles correctly in order to create an accurate representation. Another mistake is using the wrong scale, which can result in a diagram that is too large or too small for its intended purpose.