How Do I Do High Temperature Steaming?

In summary, the conversation is about creating a steaming unit for catalyst at 816 C. The speaker is unsure about the best way to do this, and asks for recommendations on whether a sealed container with steam or flowing steam would be better. They also mention considering an electric kiln. The other person in the conversation cautions against handling high temperature steam casually due to its potential for serious burns and lung damage.
jackal67347
Hello all,

I am looking to create a steaming unit that will steam catalyst at 816 C. I'm unsure as to what is the best way to go about this. Would a sealed container with steam and catalyst be the best or would flowing steam be better? Any recommendations on what type of setup to use? I was thinking an electric kiln.

I've looked at science journals but none of them describe the process. Hopefully someone here have some insight on how this is done.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I don't know what you are up to, but casual handling of high temperature steam is definitely NOT RECOMMENDED. Steam is invisible, and at the temperature you quoted, steam is easily capable of producing serious, if not fatal, burns. If inhaled, even in small amounts, the damage to the lungs would be serious, if not fatal.

Related to How Do I Do High Temperature Steaming?

1. How does high temperature steaming work?

High temperature steaming involves heating water to a temperature above its boiling point, typically around 212°F or 100°C. The steam produced from the boiling water is then used to heat or cook food at a high temperature, usually between 250°F to 350°F.

2. What types of foods can be cooked using high temperature steaming?

High temperature steaming is suitable for cooking a variety of foods, including vegetables, seafood, and meats. It is particularly useful for delicate foods that can easily overcook or dry out when cooked using other methods.

3. What are the benefits of using high temperature steaming?

High temperature steaming is a healthier cooking method compared to frying or grilling, as it does not require the use of oil. It also helps to retain the nutrients and flavors of the food being cooked. Additionally, it is a quick and efficient way to cook food, and it does not require constant monitoring.

4. How do I set up a high temperature steaming system?

To set up a high temperature steaming system, you will need a steamer pot or basket, a heat source, and enough water to produce steam for the desired cooking time. Place the food in the steamer basket or pot, and then place it over the heat source. Make sure to keep the water level consistent throughout the cooking process.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when using high temperature steaming?

It is important to handle the hot steam with caution to avoid burns. Make sure to use oven mitts or gloves when handling the steamer pot or basket. It is also important to keep the steam vent open to prevent pressure buildup. Lastly, always follow the manufacturer's instructions when using a high temperature steaming system.