How do I dispose of leftover sodium zincate from the penny to gold demo?

• Thread starter mishima
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gold
In summary, after conducting the penny to gold demo using zinc powder and sodium hydroxide, the leftover substance is a whiteish grey solid, which is believed to be sodium zincate. With approximately 17g of this substance, it is important to dispose of it properly according to local waste management regulations. This may involve putting it in the trash or taking it to a hazardous waste disposal facility. It is important to check with your local authority for the best disposal option.
mishima
I just did the penny to gold demo which uses zinc powder and sodium hydroxide. I used 200ml 3M NaOH, and 10g of Zinc (did it twice with 100ml and 5g each time). Now that its over, I have a whitish grey solid leftover which I am assuming is sodium zincate Na2[Zn(OH)4]. I can't seem to find any information about sodium zincate and was wondering how to dispose of it. I have about 17g of this substance total.

I'm concerned because during this experiment a chunk of wet zinc powder fell onto some paper and burnt a small cigarette sized hole in it. Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The best way to dispose of sodium zincate is by checking with your local waste management regulations. Depending on the regulations in your area, you may be able to put it in the trash, or you may need to take it to a hazardous waste disposal facility. Be sure to check with your local authority to find out what the best option for disposal is for your situation.

Related to How do I dispose of leftover sodium zincate from the penny to gold demo?

What is "Penny to gold waste disposal"?

"Penny to gold waste disposal" is a process in which pennies, which are made of copper, are transformed into gold through a chemical reaction. This process is a form of alchemy and is not scientifically proven to be possible.

How does "Penny to gold waste disposal" work?

The process of "Penny to gold waste disposal" is based on the belief that by mixing specific chemicals and using certain techniques, copper pennies can be transformed into gold. However, this process has not been scientifically proven to be effective.

Is "Penny to gold waste disposal" a real scientific process?

No, "Penny to gold waste disposal" is not a scientifically proven process. It is often associated with alchemy, which is a pseudoscientific practice that aims to turn base metals into gold.

Are there any potential dangers associated with "Penny to gold waste disposal"?

Yes, attempting to turn pennies into gold using chemicals and techniques can be dangerous and should not be attempted. The chemicals involved can be harmful if not handled properly, and the process itself is not scientifically proven to be effective.

What is the purpose of "Penny to gold waste disposal" if it is not scientifically proven?

The purpose of "Penny to gold waste disposal" is often for entertainment or as a hoax. It is not a legitimate scientific process and should not be taken seriously.

Back