How do I decide this total cost and how do I make a minimum estimate?

In summary, the conversation discusses the principle of 10K with an interest rate of 10% compounded annually over a period of five years. The formula for determining the total cost in terms of monthly payments, amount borrowed, monthly interest rate, and number of payments is provided. The closed-form for the recursion is also given, along with the coefficients and the final equation for solving for the total cost. The final cost is equal to the monthly payment multiplied by the number of payments, minus the amount borrowed.
BTerry
Principle: 10K
Interest: 10% compounded annually
Time: Over five years

What is the total cost of all of this factored in?

Could I get the formula so I can use it to apply to a real problem?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Is this for a loan repayment? If so, consider the following, which can easily be changed to an annual payment:

Let $P$ = monthly payment, $A$ = amount borrowed, $i$ = monthly interest rate, and $n$ = the number of payments.

Also, let $D_n$ be the debt amount after payment $n$.

Consider the recursion:

(1) \(\displaystyle D_{n}=(1+i)D_{n-1}-P\)

(2) \(\displaystyle D_{n+1}=(1+i)D_{n}-P\)

Subtracting (1) from (2) yields the homogeneous recursion:

\(\displaystyle D_{n+1}=(2+i)D_{n}-(1+i)D_{n-1}\)

whose associated auxiliary equation is:

\(\displaystyle r^2-(2+i)r+(1+i)=0\)

\(\displaystyle (r-(1+i))(r-1)=0\)

Thus, the closed-form for our recursion is:

\(\displaystyle D_n=k_1(1+i)^n+k_2\)

Using initial values, we may determine the coefficients $k_i$:

\(\displaystyle D_0=k_1+k_2=A\)

\(\displaystyle D_1=k_1(1+i)+k_2=(1+i)A-P\)

Solving this system, we find:

\(\displaystyle k_1=\frac{Ai-P}{i},\,k_2=\frac{P}{i}\) and so we have:

\(\displaystyle D_n=\left(\frac{Ai-P}{i} \right)(1+i)^n+\left(\frac{P}{i} \right)=\frac{(Ai-P)(1+i)^n+P}{i}\)

Now, equating this to zero, we can solve for $P$:

\(\displaystyle \frac{(Ai-P)(1+i)^n+P}{i}=0\)

\(\displaystyle (Ai-P)(1+i)^n+P=0\)

\(\displaystyle (P-Ai)(1+i)^n=P\)

\(\displaystyle P\left((1+i)^n-1 \right)=Ai(1+i)^n\)

\(\displaystyle P=\frac{Ai(1+i)^n}{(1+i)^n-1}\)

\(\displaystyle P=\frac{Ai}{1-(1+i)^{-n}}\)

After solving for P (as shown by Mark), the cost is simply: P*n - A

In other words: what you paid back less what you got.

Related to How do I decide this total cost and how do I make a minimum estimate?

1. How do I determine the total cost of a project?

To determine the total cost of a project, you will need to add up all the individual costs associated with the project. This may include materials, labor, equipment, and any other expenses. It is important to be as detailed and thorough as possible to get an accurate total cost.

2. What factors should I consider when making a minimum cost estimate?

When making a minimum cost estimate, you should consider the scope of the project, the resources available, and any potential risks or uncertainties. You should also take into account any potential cost savings or efficiencies that may be possible.

3. How can I ensure that my cost estimate is accurate?

To ensure the accuracy of your cost estimate, it is important to gather as much information as possible and to consult with experts or colleagues who have experience in similar projects. You should also regularly review and update your estimate as the project progresses.

4. What techniques can I use to make a minimum cost estimate?

There are several techniques that you can use to make a minimum cost estimate, including parametric estimating, analogous estimating, and bottom-up estimating. Each technique has its own advantages and may be more suitable for certain types of projects.

5. How do I account for unexpected costs in my estimate?

When making a cost estimate, it is important to leave some room for unexpected costs that may arise during the project. This can be done by including a contingency reserve in your estimate, typically around 10-15% of the total cost. This will help to cover any unforeseen expenses that may arise.