How do i deal with integral boundary conditions?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Green's function to solve a second-order ordinary differential equation with known function a(x). The boundary condition is given and the Green's function is presented in two different forms for x<y and x>y. The difficulty lies in finding the coefficients A and B due to having only one boundary condition.
nocloud
I am trying to solve an ode of the form u"(x)=a(x) where a(x) is some known function and the domain is from -inf to +inf. I am required to use Green's function.

The boundary condition is u(0) = Integral[u(x),{x,0,1}] = 0

My Green's function has the form
G(x,y) = A(y)*x+B(y) x<y
G(x,y) = C(y)*x+D(y) x>y

How the heck do I use that integral to find the coefficients A and B?

Physics news on Phys.org
nocloud said:
I am trying to solve an ode of the form u"(x)=a(x) where a(x) is some known function and the domain is from -inf to +inf. I am required to use Green's function.

The boundary condition is u(0) = Integral[u(x),{x,0,1}] = 0

My Green's function has the form
G(x,y) = A(y)*x+B(y) x<y
G(x,y) = C(y)*x+D(y) x>y

How the heck do I use that integral to find the coefficients A and B?
Since G(x,y) must satisfy the same boundary conditions as u, for all y, you must have
[tex]\int_0^1 G(x, y)dx= 0[/tex]
for all y.
[tex]\int_0^1 G(x,y)dx= \int_0^y (Ax+ B) dx+ \int_y^1 (Cx+ D) dx[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{1}{2}Ay^2+ By+ C+ D - \frac{1}{2}Cy^2- Dy= 0[/tex]

You will also need to use, of course, the conditions at x= y: Ay+ B= Cy+ D and A- C= 1. That is still only three conditions to determine four functions of y. The difficulty is not that the boundary condition is integral but that there is only one boundary condition. In spite of the fact that the single boundary condition involves both endpoints, you still only have one boundary condition and you need two.

Related to How do i deal with integral boundary conditions?

1. How do I determine the boundary conditions for an integral?

Boundary conditions for an integral can be determined by analyzing the physical problem and understanding the behavior of the function at the boundaries. This can involve considering the values of the function, its derivatives, or its integral at the boundaries.

2. Can integral boundary conditions be solved numerically?

Yes, integral boundary conditions can be solved numerically using numerical integration methods such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule. These methods approximate the integral by breaking it into smaller segments and summing the areas under the curve.

3. What is the significance of boundary conditions in solving integrals?

Boundary conditions are essential in solving integrals because they provide additional information that helps determine the specific solution to the problem. Without boundary conditions, an integral may have an infinite number of solutions.

4. Are there different types of integral boundary conditions?

Yes, there are different types of integral boundary conditions, such as Dirichlet, Neumann, and Robin boundary conditions. These conditions specify the value of the function, its derivative, or a combination of both at the boundaries.

5. How do I incorporate boundary conditions into my integral equation?

Boundary conditions can be incorporated into an integral equation by either using them to solve for the constants of integration or by adding them as additional terms in the integral. The specific method will depend on the type of boundary conditions and the problem being solved.