How Do I Correctly Calculate the Speed of Casing in a Planetary Gear System?

In summary: However, the student's attempt at solving the problem resulted in a wrong calculation, possibly due to a mistake in their table of motion. They should double check their work and make corrections where necessary to get the correct answer. In summary, the student needs to use the gear ratio equation to calculate the speed of gear F, which should be 25 rpm, and double check their work for any mistakes.
andycampbell1

Homework Statement

Hi

I am doing this gear problem, I have attached the question and how I've started this off I am having problems working it all out as the question said I should try and have the casing rotating at a speed of 15-25 rpm.

I have, these gear sizes which were obtained from a manufacturers catalogue.

TB = 36
TC = 24
TD = 40
TE = 80
NX = 100 rpm
NY = 350 rpm

The Attempt at a Solution

To work out the number of teeth on casing F, from the geometry of the figure
dF/2 = dE/2+dB
so dF= dE + 2dB
dF= 80+ 2(40) = 160 teeth.

Using my my table of motion which I have attached for the speed of gear F, there is a mistake on it as the 2 TC's cancel out to end up y-x*(TB/TF) I have used the input speed for x and the output speed for y so my equation works out as 350-100 * (36/160) = 327.5 rpm this is obviously very wrong. Where have I went wrong? Have I started at the wrong point?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 469
  • IMG_0972.jpg
    IMG_0972.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 487
Physics news on Phys.org
Homework EquationsdF/2 = dE/2+dBx-y*(TB/TF)The Attempt at a SolutionTo calculate the speed of gear F, you need to use the gear ratio equation:x-y*(TB/TF)Where x is the input speed (NX), y is the output speed (NY), TB is the number of teeth on gear B (36), and TF is the number of teeth on gear F (160).Plugging in the values, we get:100 - 350*(36/160) = 25 rpmThis means that the speed of gear F will be 25 rpm, which is within the desired range of 15-25 rpm.

Related to How Do I Correctly Calculate the Speed of Casing in a Planetary Gear System?

1. What is a planetary spur gear?

A planetary spur gear is a type of gear system that consists of a central gear (called the sun gear), surrounded by multiple gears (called planet gears), all of which are held in place by a ring gear. This configuration allows for high gear reduction ratios and torque distribution, making it commonly used in various mechanical systems.

2. What are the common problems associated with planetary spur gears?

The most common problem with planetary spur gears is tooth wear and pitting, which can occur due to excessive load, misalignment, or poor lubrication. This can lead to decreased efficiency and potential gear failure if not addressed.

3. How can tooth wear and pitting be prevented in planetary spur gears?

To prevent tooth wear and pitting, proper maintenance and lubrication of the gear system is crucial. Regular inspections and adjustments can also help identify and address any issues before they worsen. Additionally, using high-quality gears and ensuring proper alignment can also help prevent these problems.

4. Can planetary spur gears be repaired if they are damaged?

In most cases, planetary spur gears can be repaired if they are damaged. This typically involves replacing the damaged gears and ensuring proper alignment and lubrication. However, in some cases, if the damage is severe or the gears are too worn, replacement of the entire gear system may be necessary.

5. What are the advantages of using planetary spur gears compared to other gear systems?

Planetary spur gears offer several advantages over other gear systems, including high gear reduction ratios, compact size, and even distribution of torque. They also have a lower noise level and can operate at higher speeds. However, they may be more complex and require more maintenance compared to other gear systems.