How do I choose u' u and v for relative velocity

In summary, the problem involves finding the velocity of ejected material relative to the Earth, given that a quasar is receding from the Earth at a speed of 0.87c and the material is ejected towards the Earth at a speed of 0.55c relative to the quasar. Using the velocity addition formula in the Earth's reference frame, the final equation should be V(ejected material/Earth) = (0.55c + 0.87c)/(1 + (0.55c)(0.87c)/c^2).
grandpa2390

Homework Statement

A certain quasar recedes from the Earth with a speed of .87c. a jet of material is ejjected towards the Earth at .55c relative to the quasar. find speed of ejected material relative to the earth

Homework Equations

u = u'+v / 1 + u'v/c^2

The Attempt at a Solution

guessing. that if I draw both reference frames, v is the velocity that stays constant. in this case v=.87c. in one reference frame, the quasar is receding, and in the other the Earth is receding from the quasar. either way there is a .87c and I will call it v.

u is the velocity in the reference frame that it is given. .55c is the velocity of the ejected material in the quasar's reference frame. I want it in the Earth's reference frame though, so I call the known velocity in the quasar's reference frame u and the unknown velocity in the Earth's reference frame u'.

and as long as I keep my signs straight, this should work right?scratch that. the signs on u and v must be from the same reference frame.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You might find this way of writing the velocity addition formula helpful:
Doc Al said:
Addition of (parallel) velocities:

Low-speed (Galilean) addition of velocities:
[tex]V_{a/c} = V_{a/b} + V_{b/c}[/tex]

Relativistic addition of velocities:
[tex]V_{a/c} = \frac{V_{a/b} + V_{b/c}}{1 + (V_{a/b} V_{b/c})/c^2}[/tex]
Where ##V_{a/c}##, for example, means the velocity of a as measured by c. That should allow you to keep the signs straight.

Related to How do I choose u' u and v for relative velocity

What is relative velocity?

Relative velocity is the measurement of the speed and direction of an object in relation to another object. It takes into account the motion of both objects and calculates the difference between their velocities.

Why is it important to choose appropriate u and v for relative velocity?

Choosing appropriate u and v values is crucial in accurately calculating relative velocity. The values should represent the velocities of the objects in question and their directions of motion. Choosing incorrect values can result in incorrect calculations and misleading data.

What factors should be considered when choosing u and v for relative velocity?

When choosing u and v for relative velocity, factors such as the motion of the objects, their speeds, and their directions of motion should be considered. It is also important to ensure that the values chosen are consistent with the units used in the calculation.

How can I determine the direction of u and v for relative velocity?

The direction of u and v for relative velocity can be determined by using the right-hand rule. Point your right hand in the direction of the first object's motion (u), then curl your fingers towards the direction of the second object's motion (v). The direction your thumb points towards is the direction of the relative velocity.

Can I use any units for u and v in relative velocity calculations?

It is important to use consistent units when calculating relative velocity. Typically, the units used for u and v are meters per second (m/s) for linear motion and radians per second (rad/s) for rotational motion. However, as long as the units are consistent, any unit can be used for u and v in relative velocity calculations.