How do I calculate the velocity of a two-ended rocket?

In summary, the problem involves a two-ended "rocket" with a stationary center block of mass 6kg and two side blocks of mass 2kg each. The rocket is initially at rest on a friction-less floor, with its center at the origin of an x axis. The side blocks can be shot away from the center block in opposite directions along the x axis. In the sequence described, the first block is shot to the right at a speed of 3m/s relative to the velocity given to the rest of the rocket. Then, at t=4/5s, the second block is shot to the right with a speed of 3m/s relative to the velocity of the center block at that time. At t
Eclair_de_XII said:
Whoa, I just figured out the answer. The velocity of ##m_C## isn't ##v##, it's actually ##v-(\frac{m_R}{m_C})(v_R)##.

##v_{C}=v-(\frac{m_R}{m_C})(v_R)=\frac{3}{5}\frac{m}{s}-(\frac{2kg}{6kg})(\frac{9}{4}\frac{m}{s})=-\frac{3}{20}\frac{m}{s}##
Yes!

Physics news on Phys.org
##t=2s##
##x_0=vt_1=\frac{12}{25}m##
##x_f=x_0+v_Ct=\frac{12}{25}m+(-\frac{3}{20}\frac{m}{s})(2s)=\frac{48-30}{100}m=\frac{9}{50}m##

Well, thank you very much for helping me through this, haruspex. I literally do not believe I could have figured this out without any sort of help. Thank you for always helping me.

Eclair_de_XII said:
##t=2s##
##x_0=vt_1=\frac{12}{25}m##
##x_f=x_0+v_Ct=\frac{12}{25}m+(-\frac{3}{20}\frac{m}{s})(2s)=\frac{48-30}{100}m=\frac{9}{50}m##

Well, thank you very much for helping me through this, haruspex. I literally do not believe I could have figured this out without any sort of help. Thank you for always helping me.
You are welcome. But you could do it without help next time, right?

I think so. I'll see next weekend.