How do I calculate the uncertainity when converting minutes to hours?

In summary, When converting minutes to hours, the uncertainity (limit error) can be calculated by multiplying the number of minutes by 0.1 and then multiplying by 60. This results in the uncertainity being tm ± 0.4 (h), with the largest absolute error being ± 4%. As the number of minutes increases, the uncertainty becomes smaller.
cbrowne

Homework Statement

I have no idea how to calculate this:

Calculate the uncertainity (limit error) when you convert minutes to hours:

Minutes____Hours__
10.0 0.16
20.0 0.33
30.0 0.5

Homework Equations

They've given me like

Time Elapsed in minutes: tm ± 0.1 (min)

Distance Traveled: d ± 0.1 (km)

Physics news on Phys.org
What happens when you multiply 60 by the numbers in your table?

What differences do they exhibit relative to the original numbers?

so should i say the uncertainity is tm ± 0.4 (h) ?

Is that what it works out to?

If so ...

well if u multiply 0.16 x 60= 9.6 but the actual value is 10.0 so its off by 0.4 . As you go up the table the uncertainty becomes smaller and smaller

cbrowne said:
well if u multiply 0.16 x 60= 9.6 but the actual value is 10.0 so its off by 0.4 . As you go up the table the uncertainty becomes smaller and smaller

Then ±.4 is the largest absolute error so that would be the greatest uncertainty I'd say.

Expressed as a percentage that would be more like (.4/10) or ± 4%.

Related to How do I calculate the uncertainity when converting minutes to hours?

1. What is uncertainty measurement?

Uncertainty measurement is a scientific method used to quantify the amount of doubt or variability in a measurement. It takes into account all possible sources of error and provides a range of values within which the true value is likely to lie.

2. Why is uncertainty measurement important?

Uncertainty measurement is important because it allows scientists to understand the reliability and accuracy of their measurements, which is crucial for making informed decisions and drawing valid conclusions from experimental data. It also helps to compare different measurement techniques and determine the most precise and accurate method.

3. How is uncertainty measurement calculated?

There are several methods for calculating uncertainty measurement, but the most commonly used is the standard deviation method. This involves taking multiple measurements and calculating the average, standard deviation, and confidence interval to determine the uncertainty range.

4. What are the sources of uncertainty in measurement?

There are several sources of uncertainty in measurement, including instrumental errors, environmental conditions, human error, and limitations of the measurement technique. It is important to identify and minimize these sources to improve the reliability and accuracy of measurements.

5. How can uncertainty measurement be reduced?

Uncertainty measurement can be reduced by improving measurement techniques, using more precise and accurate instruments, and reducing sources of error. It is also important to repeat measurements and calculate the average to minimize the effect of random errors.