How do I calculate the tension and speed of a tether ball on a pole?

• Thread starter TraceBusta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball Pole
In summary, the conversation discussed the set-up of a tether ball and the equations needed to calculate the tension and speed of the ball. The tension was found by balancing the forces of gravity and the vertical component of the tension, while the speed was found using the centripetal acceleration equation. The correct equations for the vertical and horizontal components of the tension were also discussed.
TraceBusta
A tether ball of mass 0.15 kg is attached to a vertical pole by a cord 1.1 m long. Assume the cord attaches to the center of the ball. If the cord makes an angle of 20° with the vertical, then
a) What is the tension in the cord?
b) What is the speed of the ball?

Ok well i started it. On my free body diagram i only have two forces, the force of gravity (mg sin (theta)) and the force of tension (T). I calculated the radius of the circle the ball travels to be r=.3762 m. My prediction is that mg sin (theta) - T = ma. centripital acceleration is a=v^2/r. However i have one equation with 2 unknowns here. I somehow need to figure out v, or T. Is there another force that I forgot about in the free body diagram?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that the tension works along the direction of the rope.
The centripetal acceleration, however, lies in the plane with the vertical as normal.
Hence, you must decompose the tension into its vertical component, and its planar component.
The vertical component of the tension must balance the force of gravity; otherwise, the ball would start descend vertically.
The planar component of the tension must provide the centripetal acceleration.

Ok. I get the wrong answer with these components. can you check to see if these are right...for vertical component I have T=mg cos (theta) and for planar I have mg sin (theta) - T = ma

1.equation is correct (hopefully, you have interpreted this as balance of forces in the vertical!)

2.equation is incorrect.
In the horizontal, you should have:
Tsin(theta)=ma (a=v^2/r)

EDIT;
Oops sorry, first equation is also wrong!
You should have in the vertical:
Tcos(theta)=mg
Sorry.. :redface:

Hmm, I'm still getting the wrong answers. I calculated T = 1.383 N. and v=1.089 m/s. I'm running out of attemps...noooo. lol I don't know why they are wrong. I double checked my work and it was the same answer both times.

Did you see my last edit?

Ok, fixed it. Thanks. the right answers are T = 1.5659 N and v = 1.1589 m/s.

but I still don't understand why the equations are the way they are.

am i right when I set up a right triangle and the hypotnuse is = T, while the adjacent leg is = mg. Then cos (theta) = mg/T for vertical and then the opposite leg = ma so when you do the planar component you get sin (theta) = ma/T?

TraceBusta said:
Ok, fixed it. Thanks. the right answers are T = 1.5659 N and v = 1.1589 m/s.

but I still don't understand why the equations are the way they are.
Allright!
Let's call the unit vector in the direction of the rope (measured from the ball) [tex]\vec{i}_{T}[/tex]
Let's call the unit vector anti-parallell to the direction of the force of gravity [tex]\vec{k}[/tex] (i.e "upwards")
Let the radial vector pointing inwards in the horizontal plane [tex]\vec{i}_{a}[/tex]
Clearly, we must have:
[tex]\vec{i}_{T}=\cos\theta\vec{k}+\sin\theta\vec{i}_{a}[/tex]

The tensile force, [tex]\vec{T}[/tex] is parallell to [tex]\vec{i}_{T}[/tex] that is:
[tex]\vec{T}=T\vec{i}_{T}=T(\cos\theta\vec{k}+\sin\theta\vec{i}_{a})[/tex]
Does this help?

Yeah, your approach is correct as well.

thanks for your help i appreciate it.

Related to How do I calculate the tension and speed of a tether ball on a pole?

1. What is a tether ball on pole?

A tether ball on pole is a game played with a tall pole and a ball attached to a rope. The object of the game is to hit the ball in a circular motion around the pole, trying to wrap the rope around the pole completely.

2. How do you play a tether ball on pole?

To play a tether ball on pole, stand on one side of the pole and hit the ball in a circular motion in the opposite direction of your opponent. The goal is to wrap the rope completely around the pole before your opponent can hit it back in the opposite direction. The game ends when one player successfully wraps the rope around the pole or when the ball hits the top of the pole.

3. What are the benefits of playing tether ball on pole?

Tether ball on pole is a great form of physical exercise and can improve hand-eye coordination and reflexes. It also promotes friendly competition and can be a fun outdoor activity for all ages.

4. Is there a specific height for the pole in tether ball on pole?

The official height for a tether ball on pole game is 10 feet, but it can vary depending on the players' height and skill level. It is important to make sure the pole is securely anchored in the ground to prevent any accidents.

5. Can you play a tether ball on pole alone?

Technically, you can play a tether ball on pole alone, but it is more enjoyable with at least two players. Playing with a partner adds an element of competition and makes the game more challenging and fun.