How Do I Calculate the Movement of a Ball in Air for My Program?

In summary, the conversation discusses creating a computer program to calculate the movement of a ball in the air. The necessary information includes air density, ball's cross-section, current acceleration and speed, mass, and location. The dynamics involve two forces, weight and drag, which are affected by the object's shape and Reynolds number. To determine the drag coefficient, one should refer to the Drag Equation and Reynolds Number and look for experimental/computed values. The cross-section of the ball can be simplified to neglect aerodynamics properties.
Superanden
Hi All.

Im trying to make a computer program that calculates the movement of a ball in the air.

i'll need information as:

- the air density
- the ball's crosssection
- the ball's current acceleration
- the balls current speed

is this enough to calculate the frictional force?

I'll also need:

- Ball's mass
- Ball's current location

Is this enough to completely determine the ball's acceleration.?

Will someone please help med figure out how to calculate the ball's movement.

There will be bo colisions, nor both a static and a dynamic frictional force from the air, and the air density will be the same no matter how high the ball is.

Please explain clearly as it's been a LONG time since my math and physics.
Maybe for simplicity, explain the dynamics in one axis to avoid using vector math.

Please help me and I'll be very greatful

/Andreas

Physics news on Phys.org
Technically, yes, it is enough, but computations are very complex.

You have two forces acting on the ball:

[tex]W = g * M[/tex]

[tex]F_D = \frac{1}{2}\rho v^2 C_D A[/tex]

Where M is mass, g is acceleration due to gravity, ρ is air density, v is velocity, CD is drag coefficient, and A is cross section area.

First is straight forward. Second is mostly straight forward, except for CD. Problem is that it depends on shape of the object and its Reynolds number.

So what you want to do is the following.
1) Read Wikipedia article on Drag Equation.
2) Read Wikipedia article on Reynolds Number.
3) Search Google for experimental/computed values of CD for object that matches your parameters in the Reynolds number ranges you are interested in.

Thanks a lot... I got it from here..

You're the best using your time to help us "physics ignorants".

PS: The cross-section of a ball is pretty simple when i neglitiate the airodynamics properties... so thanks a lot.

Related to How Do I Calculate the Movement of a Ball in Air for My Program?

1. How do you calculate the movement of a ball in air?

To calculate the movement of a ball in air, you will need to use a combination of physics concepts such as projectile motion, air resistance, and gravity. You can use equations such as the kinematic equations and the drag force equation to determine the ball's trajectory and speed.

2. What factors affect the movement of a ball in air?

The movement of a ball in air is affected by various factors such as the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and gravity. The shape and size of the ball can also have an impact on its movement.

3. Can you calculate the exact path of a ball in air?

It is difficult to calculate the exact path of a ball in air due to the unpredictable nature of air resistance and other external factors. However, using mathematical models and simulations, you can get a close approximation of the ball's trajectory.

4. How does air resistance affect the movement of a ball?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that acts in the opposite direction of motion and can significantly affect the movement of a ball in air. As the ball moves through the air, it experiences drag, which slows it down and changes its trajectory.

5. Are there any software programs that can help with calculating ball movement in air?

Yes, there are several software programs, such as MATLAB, Mathematica, and Python, that have built-in functions and modules for simulating and calculating the movement of objects in air. These programs can be useful for complex calculations and visualizing the ball's trajectory.