How do I calculate the length of a chemical bond?

In summary, the carbon atom in C6H8 absorbs light at the specific wavelength of 357nm, which causes an electron to change its energy level. By using this information, you can estimate the length of a carbon-carbon bond in this molecule.
fizzicsdummy
“In C6H8, the carbon atoms are connected in a chain. In a rough approximation, some electrons can be viewed as confined to a line with the length of this chain. C6H8 absorbs ultraviolet light with wavelength 357 nm, which causes an electron to change from the third lowest allowed energy to the fourth lowest allowed energy. Use this information to estimate the length in pm of a typical carbon-carbon bond in C6H8.”

I do know that radius = (n^2)(Bohr radius).

I assume I could just calculate the radius of a carbon atom and multiply it by 2 to find a rough estimate of the length of a carbon-carbon bond. However, I don't know how to do this and I don't know the importance of the energy level change described in the problem. I'd really appreciate help understanding this. An equation (if one exists) would also be appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a popular question that comes up in intro quantum chem classes. The idea here is to take your conjugated 1,3,5-hexatriene molecule and approximate its valence pi electrons (very roughly) as particles in a 1D box of length L. The energy levels are
$$E = \frac{n^2h^2}{8mL}$$
and the hexatriene molecule has 6 conjugated pi electrons. Given the fact that electrons are fermions, this means the lowest 3 levels of the box are filled, so the first electronic transition possible is between the 3rd and the 4th level. You're told that the molecule absorbs light at ##\lambda## = 357nm, which you can plug into
$$E = \frac{hc}{\lambda}$$
to find the energy of the transition. You can then find the difference of energy between the 3rd and 4th box levels and solve for L to get the total length of the box. Since all 6 carbons are (very roughly) equivalent, you can divide this L by 6 to get the C-C bond length.

Related to How do I calculate the length of a chemical bond?

1. How do I determine the length of a chemical bond between two atoms?

The length of a chemical bond is determined by the distance between the nuclei of two bonded atoms. This distance can be measured experimentally using techniques such as X-ray crystallography or spectroscopy.

2. What factors affect the length of a chemical bond?

The length of a chemical bond is influenced by several factors, including the types of atoms involved, the number of shared electrons, and the strength of the bond. Other factors such as temperature and pressure can also affect bond length.

3. How is bond length related to bond strength?

In general, the shorter the bond length, the stronger the bond. This is because a shorter bond indicates a greater overlap of atomic orbitals, resulting in a stronger attraction between the atoms.

4. Can bond length be calculated using a formula?

There are no specific formulas for calculating bond length, as it is primarily determined by experimental methods. However, theoretical calculations using quantum mechanics can provide estimates of bond length based on the properties of the atoms involved.

5. How does bond length vary among different types of chemical bonds?

The length of a chemical bond can vary greatly depending on the type of bond. For example, a single bond is longer than a double bond, which is longer than a triple bond. Additionally, different types of bonds, such as ionic, polar covalent, and nonpolar covalent, have different average bond lengths due to differences in the strength of the bond.