How do I calculate the instantaneous velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate instantaneous velocity, vinst, using a d-t graph. The question is whether to use the tangent line or the point to calculate the slope break. It is mentioned that taking derivatives is necessary for this calculation, and that the slope breaks can be found by graphing and identifying points where linear lines cross.
extreme
I've constructed a d-t graph and the question is, how do I calculate the instantaneous velocity, vinst, for each slope break? How do I find the slope break? Do I calculate it using v=chginx/chgint formed by the tangent line to the point or using the point alone simular to Vavg. I've drawn tangent lines to the peaks of the curves and computed rise over run with incorrect results.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you taken calculus, or do you know how to take derivatives?

vinst

you have the movement equation? if you have it and you have taken calculus you must know the vinst ist the first derivative of the function evaluated at the point you want to calculate vinst.

Thanks. I was puzzled as to where to find the slope breaks. Once I graphed this out, I saw several linear lines that crossed each other along the graph and it was at these points I calculated Vinst.

Related to How do I calculate the instantaneous velocity

1. What is instantaneous velocity?

Instantaneous velocity is the rate of change of an object's position at a specific moment in time. It can also be referred to as the object's speed and direction at that moment.

2. How is instantaneous velocity different from average velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement of an object over a period of time, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity at a specific point in time. Average velocity takes into account the entire journey, while instantaneous velocity focuses on a single moment.

3. How do I calculate instantaneous velocity using calculus?

Instantaneous velocity can be calculated using the derivative of an object's position function with respect to time. This can be written as v(t) = dx/dt, where v(t) is the instantaneous velocity, x is the position function, and t is the time variable.

4. Can I calculate instantaneous velocity without using calculus?

Yes, you can calculate instantaneous velocity without using calculus by measuring an object's displacement and time at a specific moment. Instantaneous velocity can be calculated as v = (x2 - x1) / (t2 - t1), where x2 and x1 are the final and initial positions, and t2 and t1 are the final and initial times, respectively.

5. What are some real-life applications of calculating instantaneous velocity?

Instantaneous velocity is used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and sports. It is used to analyze the motion of objects, such as projectiles or vehicles, and to determine their speed and direction at a particular moment. In sports, it is used to measure an athlete's performance, such as their speed and acceleration during a race.