How do I calculate the frequencies of the following?

• Thread starter riseofphoenix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frequencies
HzIn summary, to achieve the fundamental vibration of middle C (261.6 Hz) on the chromatic musical scale, the steel wire in a piano with a length of 0.9000 m and a mass of 4.000 10-3 kg must be stretched to a tension of 985 N. In addition, the expected fundamental frequency for optimal hearing sensitivity in the human ear canal, which can be considered as a tube open at one end and closed at the eardrum with a length of 2.6 cm, is 2153.1 Hz.
riseofphoenix
7. A steel wire in a piano has a length of 0.9000 m and a mass of 4.000 10-3 kg. To what tension must this wire be stretched so that the fundamental vibration corresponds to middle C (fC = 261.6 Hz on the chromatic musical scale)?

8. The human ear canal is about 2.6 cm long. If it is regarded as a tube open at one end and closed at the eardrum, what is the fundamental frequency around which we would expect hearing to be most sensitive?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do I use:

f = TM/L√2L

For the first one I got T = 49888794.74

Oh wait the first one is T = 985 N

To calculate the frequency of the steel wire in the piano, we can use the equation f = (1/2L)√(T/μ), where f is the frequency, L is the length of the wire, T is the tension, and μ is the linear density (mass per unit length) of the wire. In this case, we are given the length (0.9000 m) and the mass (4.000 x 10^-3 kg) of the wire. To find the linear density, we can divide the mass by the length, giving us a value of 0.0044 kg/m. We also know that the desired frequency is 261.6 Hz. Rearranging the equation, we get T = (4μf^2L^2), where T is the tension we need to calculate. Plugging in the values, we get T = (4 x 0.0044 x 261.6^2 x 0.9000^2) = 262.6 N. Therefore, the tension required for the steel wire to vibrate at middle C is 262.6 Newtons.

To calculate the fundamental frequency of the human ear canal, we can use the equation f = v/4L, where f is the frequency, v is the speed of sound (343 m/s in air), and L is the length of the ear canal. Plugging in the values, we get f = 343/(4 x 0.026) = 3290.4 Hz. However, it's important to note that this is just an estimation and the actual fundamental frequency may vary depending on the individual's ear canal shape and size. Additionally, the human ear is sensitive to a range of frequencies, not just the fundamental frequency.

Related to How do I calculate the frequencies of the following?

1. How do I calculate the frequency of a wave?

The frequency of a wave can be calculated by dividing the speed of the wave by its wavelength. The formula for frequency is: f = v/λ, where f is frequency, v is the speed of the wave, and λ is the wavelength.

2. How do I calculate the frequency of an electromagnetic wave?

The frequency of an electromagnetic wave can be calculated using the formula: f = c/λ, where f is frequency, c is the speed of light (3 x 10^8 m/s), and λ is the wavelength of the wave.

3. How do I calculate the frequency of a pendulum?

The frequency of a pendulum can be calculated using the formula: f = 1/T, where f is frequency and T is the period of the pendulum (the time it takes for one complete swing). The period can be measured using a stopwatch.

4. How do I calculate the frequency of a sound wave?

The frequency of a sound wave can be calculated using the formula: f = v/λ, where f is frequency, v is the speed of sound (343 m/s at sea level), and λ is the wavelength of the wave. The wavelength can be measured by finding the distance between two consecutive compressions or rarefactions in the wave.

5. How do I calculate the frequency of a vibrating string?

The frequency of a vibrating string can be calculated using the formula: f = 1/2L * √(T/u), where f is frequency, L is the length of the string, T is the tension in the string, and u is the linear density of the string. The linear density can be calculated by dividing the mass of the string by its length.