How do I calculate the event horizon?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the event horizon of a black hole. The first equation used is correct, but the second equation should be the Newton equation for kinetic energy. The conversation also mentions a more accurate way of calculating the event horizon using the Schwarzschild metric. There is some uncertainty about the use of the speed of light and the mass of a photon in the calculations.
Spring
I am clearly talking about black holes. The event horizon is the limit where even a photon won't escape it.

I tried to calculate it in the easy way using enegry calculation

m * MG/R = mc^2 / 2

but I do not know if I am using the right equation or even if I can divide by the m because it equels to zero, deviding by which is mocking the foundations of math and physics.

If the way to calculate it is tricky and scientific I will be disappointed because I want to understand it well but I will still try and listen.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The first equation is correct but the second one (to my knowledge) should be the Newton equation for kinetic energy-

[tex]E_k=\frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex]

If you replace the second equation with this one, then you should be able to rearrange to get the equation for escape velocity and from that, you should be able to establish an equation for the event horizon (or the Schwarzschild radius). This is a basic way of establishing the EH, for a more accurate and GR related solution, you should look at the Schwarzschild metric. You might also find the following thread of interest-

Deriving the Schwarzschild radius?

Last edited:
The second equation is ½mv2 but I used c (speed of light) to calculate it for light.

Once again, I am unsure because I devided by m of photon which equals to zero, deviding by nothing.
Also because there is a different way to calculate the energy of a photon. Ep = hf .
That way it means that every where there is a photon who can escape with high enough frequency.

Spring said:
The second equation is ½mv2 but I used c (speed of light) to calculate it for light.

Once again, I am unsure because I devided by m of photon which equals to zero, deviding by nothing.
Also because there is a different way to calculate the energy of a photon. Ep = hf .
That way it means that every where there is a photon who can escape with high enough frequency.

Zero is the rest mass of a photon. Of course, photons are not normally at rest. High frequency implies high energy.

Related to How do I calculate the event horizon?

1. How is the event horizon calculated for a black hole?

The event horizon of a black hole can be calculated using the equation R = 2GM/c2, where R is the radius of the event horizon, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the black hole, and c is the speed of light.

2. What does the event horizon represent in the context of a black hole?

The event horizon is the point of no return for anything that enters a black hole. It is the boundary where the escape velocity is equal to the speed of light, meaning that anything that crosses this boundary is unable to escape the gravitational pull of the black hole.

3. Can the event horizon of a black hole change over time?

The event horizon of a black hole does not change over time, as it is determined by the mass and size of the black hole. However, as a black hole absorbs more matter, its mass and event horizon may increase.

4. How is the event horizon different from the singularity of a black hole?

The event horizon is the boundary of a black hole, while the singularity is the point at the center where the mass and density of the black hole become infinite. The event horizon can be calculated, while the singularity cannot be directly observed or measured.

5. Is there a formula for calculating the event horizon of a rotating black hole?

Yes, the formula for calculating the event horizon of a rotating black hole is given by R = (GM + √(G2M2 - a2c4))/c2, where a is the angular momentum of the black hole. This is known as the Kerr metric and applies to rotating black holes.