How do i calculate the energy lost by my catapult

In summary, the conversation discusses the efficiency of a catapult built for an engineering assignment. While the calculations show that catapults are energy inefficient, the speaker is unsure how to calculate the exact energy of the projectile as it hits the ground. It is suggested that air resistance can be ignored by modeling the projectile's path and conducting drop tests to measure time and calculate initial velocity. To determine energy loss in the catapult, experiments can be done to find the spring constant and potential energy. The speaker also mentions that the calculated values are larger than the actual values, indicating minimal air resistance. Ultimately, the conversation highlights the importance of accurately measuring and calculating energy in a catapult.
Buggsy GC
I Have built a catapult for a 1st year engineering assignment, I know catapult are extremely energy inefficient and my theoretical catapult calculations prove that, but i don't know how to calculate the exact energy of my projectile as it hits the ground again, I can measure the projectiles real life height, distance, weight and time but I am a bit lost on the formula to find the joules of the projectile as it land. In summery I want to be able to calculate how energy inefficient my catapult in transferring energy to its projectile.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you have a projectile, which is heavy and appears streamlined, you could model a path which ignores air resistance to get the projectile to the target. You may be able to test how much air resistance if you are able to drop test the projectile from a tall height and measure the time. Physics labs have equipment to measure this accurately.
You can calculate the initial velocity of the projectile as it leaves necessary to hit a certain distance. Knowing the mass, you can calculate initial kinetic energy. Are you wanting to know if there is energy loss to the air, or energy loss within the actual catapult? If it is the catapult, then you can do some experiments to find the spring constant, and figure out how much potential energy you are putting into it.

scottdave said:
If you have a projectile, which is heavy and appears streamlined, you could model a path which ignores air resistance to get the projectile to the target. You may be able to test how much air resistance if you are able to drop test the projectile from a tall height and measure the time. Physics labs have equipment to measure this accurately.
You can calculate the initial velocity of the projectile as it leaves necessary to hit a certain distance. Knowing the mass, you can calculate initial kinetic energy. Are you wanting to know if there is energy loss to the air, or energy loss within the actual catapult? If it is the catapult, then you can do some experiments to find the spring constant, and figure out how much potential energy you are putting into it.
The energy lost by the catapult, I calculated the spring constant and the theoretical time and distances I calculated are large than those in reality by a factor for 10 roughly

So I would assume very little air resistance, if my projectile is heavy, relative to its size, and smooth (something like a small steel ball). Then based on height and distance, you should be able to fit a parabola and calculate what the initial velocity is. from that you can calculate initial kinetic energy. Figure how much energy you put in (1/2)*k*x^2, then find the difference.

Likes Buggsy GC

Related to How do i calculate the energy lost by my catapult

1. How do I calculate the energy lost by my catapult?

To calculate the energy lost by your catapult, you will need to know the mass of the projectile (m), the velocity of the projectile (v), and the height of the object being launched (h). The formula for calculating energy lost is: E = mgh + ½mv², where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²). Simply plug in the values for m, v, and h to find the energy lost by your catapult.

2. What is the difference between potential energy and kinetic energy in a catapult?

Potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or height. In a catapult, the potential energy is stored in the tension of the catapult's arm. Kinetic energy, on the other hand, is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. In a catapult, the kinetic energy is the energy of the projectile as it is launched from the catapult.

3. How does the angle of the catapult affect the energy lost?

The angle of the catapult can affect the energy lost in a few ways. A higher angle will result in a higher launch height, which will increase the potential energy of the projectile. However, a higher angle also means a shorter horizontal distance, which may decrease the kinetic energy of the projectile. The best angle for maximum energy efficiency will depend on the specific design and mechanics of your catapult.

4. What factors can contribute to energy loss in a catapult?

There are several factors that can contribute to energy loss in a catapult. These include friction between the moving parts, air resistance, and the elasticity of the catapult's materials. Additionally, any imperfections or malfunctions in the catapult's design can also lead to energy loss.

5. How can I increase the efficiency of my catapult to minimize energy loss?

To increase the efficiency of your catapult and minimize energy loss, you can make sure all moving parts are well lubricated to reduce friction. You can also use more elastic materials for the catapult's arm and make sure all components are securely attached and aligned. Additionally, experimenting with different angles and projectile masses can help optimize your catapult for maximum energy efficiency.