How do I calculate the average energy of a particle leaving a nuclear reaction?

• Thread starter cajunjacket
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's struggle to calculate the average energy of particles leaving a nuclear reaction, specifically a 20 MeV neutron striking 14N. The speaker has attempted to calculate the average energy using methods presented in a resource, but has not yet considered relativistic effects. They are seeking help to better understand this calculation.
cajunjacket
I feel like a fraud. I learned neutron kinematics many years ago, yet I don't even know how to determine the Average energy of each particle being emitted from a basic nuclear reactions such as the one in the subject line.

What am I trying to calculate?

The average energy of a particle leaving a reaction such as the one above, i.e. not an elastic or inelastic reaction. A reaction involving a Q-value.

In particular, I want to calculate the average energy for a given incoming neutron energy. The test case I am using as a sanity check is a 20 MeV neutron striking 14N, producing a proton and 14C. The Q-value for this reaction is 625.8706 keV. The average energy of the exiting proton is supposed to be 3.974 MeV.

I have attempted to calculate the average energy, but I keep getting 17.9874 MeV using the methods presented in: http://www.wepapers.com/Papers/3834/16-_Neutron_Interactions_Q-Equation,_Elastic_Scattering, yet I did not consider relativistic effects. Regardless the relativistic effects shouldn't be a factor 4 difference in this case because of the relatively low kinetic energy compared with the rest mass of a neutron.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It must be somewhat close to the 20 MeV, assuming we produce 14C in the ground state. Some of the energy will go to the nucleus and some of the energy is lost to binding energy, but overall most of the energy will go to the proton.

Related to How do I calculate the average energy of a particle leaving a nuclear reaction?

1. What is the 14-N (n,p) 14-C reaction?

The 14-N (n,p) 14-C reaction is a nuclear reaction that involves the collision of a neutron with a nitrogen-14 atom, resulting in the production of a proton and a carbon-14 atom.

2. What is the significance of the 14-N (n,p) 14-C reaction?

The 14-N (n,p) 14-C reaction is important in nuclear physics research as it is one of the main reactions used to produce carbon-14 for radiocarbon dating. It is also used in the production of carbon-14 for medical purposes, such as in PET scans.

3. How does the 14-N (n,p) 14-C reaction occur?

The 14-N (n,p) 14-C reaction occurs when a neutron collides with a nitrogen-14 atom, resulting in the formation of a carbon-14 atom. This reaction can also occur in reverse, with a carbon-14 atom absorbing a neutron and producing a nitrogen-14 atom.

4. What are the characteristics of the products of the 14-N (n,p) 14-C reaction?

The products of the 14-N (n,p) 14-C reaction are a proton and a carbon-14 atom. Carbon-14 is a radioactive isotope with a half-life of about 5,730 years, making it useful for dating materials up to about 50,000 years old.

5. How is the 14-N (n,p) 14-C reaction studied and measured?

The 14-N (n,p) 14-C reaction is studied and measured using various techniques, such as nuclear physics experiments and simulations. The products of the reaction can also be detected and measured using specialized equipment, such as gamma-ray spectrometers and particle detectors.