How do I calculate speed in a pulley system when all ropes are connected?

In summary: If you're having trouble solving a problem because you can't work out the speed of an object using only the information given, it's not because the object is moving differently using a motor or because the pictures are different. It's because you're not solving the problem correctly.In summary, the presence of the motor M in Fig. F12-43 should not make a difference in analyzing the speed of the pulley.
k_squared

Homework Statement

I have a problem when doing math for pulley problems - if not at least one of the rope segments in independent, I do not seem to be able to compute the speed of given objects. For instance:

xppoAnB.png

This is a very easy problem. Sa+3Sb=l and derive for speed; you don't really have to even go that far because you can see 3 lengths of rope are moved for motion in A, so the motion of d is 1/3 the speed of the motion of A.

This problem, however, confuses me:
Vs8T3w8.png

Because none of the ropes are independent, as A was in the beginning, I can't set up enough equations to solve this formally!

Homework Equations

Position derives to speed. No real governing equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I see that 4 lengths of rope move and area all directly connected to the cart, so it makes sense that the motion of A is 1/4 the motion of P. However, I can't show this formally.

Physics news on Phys.org
k_squared said:

Homework Statement

I have a problem when doing math for pulley problems - if not at least one of the rope segments in independent, I do not seem to be able to compute the speed of given objects. For instance:

xppoAnB.png

This is a very easy problem. Sa+3Sb=l and derive for speed; you don't really have to even go that far because you can see 3 lengths of rope are moved for motion in A, so the motion of d is 1/3 the speed of the motion of A.

This problem, however, confuses me:
Vs8T3w8.png

Because none of the ropes are independent, as A was in the beginning, I can't set up enough equations to solve this formally!

Homework Equations

Position derives to speed. No real governing equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I see that 4 lengths of rope move and area all directly connected to the cart, so it makes sense that the motion of A is 1/4 the motion of P. However, I can't show this formally.
The presence of the motor M in Fig. F12-43 should not make a difference in analyzing the speed of the pulley. Fig. F12-43 is similar to Fig. F12-39 but uses a motor to wind up the hauling rope instead of a couple of hands. If you cut the hauling rope in Fig. F12-43 at point P and pulled on the end with your hands instead of using a motor, what would be different in analyzing that setup versus analyzing the other rig?

The difference is the rope that is being pulled on counts for our division, whereas in the other ones, they do not!

Moreover, in the first one, I can define the rate at which the object is traveling as a single vsomething and a coefficient, in this case, ALL of the ropes are pulling on the object.

k_squared said:
The difference is the rope that is being pulled on counts for our division, whereas in the other ones, they do not!
It's not clear what you mean by 'the other ones'. You have presented two examples; one is being pulled by hand, the other is being pulled by a motor.
Moreover, in the first one, I can define the rate at which the object is traveling as a single vsomething and a coefficient, in this case, ALL of the ropes are pulling on the object.
Why can't you define how fast the haul line is being pulled in the second example? There's nothing stopping you from saying the motor is pulling the rope, such that the velocity at point P is 1 m/s.

It's no different when a motor is pulling on the haul rope than when a couple of hands are doing it. If the point P is moving at 1 m/s, that just implies that the motor is turning at a certain number of RPMs when it is doing the hauling.

You're letting a minor difference in a couple of pictures mess with your head.

Related to How do I calculate speed in a pulley system when all ropes are connected?

1. What is a pulley?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope or belt that runs over the groove. It is used to lift or move objects by changing the direction of the force needed to move the object.

2. How does a pulley affect the rate of speed?

A pulley can either increase or decrease the rate of speed, depending on the arrangement of the pulley system. With a single fixed pulley, the speed remains the same, while a system of multiple pulleys can increase the speed but decrease the force needed to move the object.

3. What factors affect the rate of speed in a pulley?

The rate of speed in a pulley system is affected by the number and arrangement of pulleys, the weight of the load, and the force applied to move the load. Friction and the weight of the rope or belt can also impact the speed.

4. How do I calculate the rate of speed in a pulley?

The rate of speed in a pulley is calculated by dividing the distance the load is lifted by the time it takes to lift it. This is known as the velocity of the load. The velocity can also be affected by the diameter of the pulley and the length of the rope or belt.

5. Can the rate of speed in a pulley be changed?

Yes, the rate of speed in a pulley can be changed by adjusting the arrangement of the pulleys or by changing the weight of the load or the force applied to move it. Different combinations of pulleys can also be used to achieve a desired rate of speed.