How do I calculate heat loss due to wind?

In summary, the OP wants to know if there is a formula to calculate heat loss due to wind (not wind chill temperature).
moonman239
Is there a formula for calculating heat loss due to wind (not wind chill temperature)?

Science news on Phys.org
moonman239 said:
Is there a formula for calculating heat loss due to wind (not wind chill temperature)?

Unless there is vaporization from the surface, there is no heat loss due to wind. If the air is hotter than the surface, heat will flow from the air to the surface. If the surface is hotter than the air, then heat will flow from the surface to the air. If they are both at the same temperature, then there will be no heat transfer. All this, of course, assumes that we have radiative balance.

If vaporization is involved, then the amount of heat loss will be a function of the surface temperature, the humidity of the air, the enthalpy of vaporization at that temperature, and the diffusion rate.

moonman239,

There are many semi-empirical formulas to calculate heat transfer between a surface and a fluid.
There are many books reviewing all that.

First of all, you need to explain the geometry of your system.
This means, the shape of the surface, if there are irregularities and their scale, the direction of the wind. Eventually, you might even need to calculate the complete flow of the wind past your surface, which would impliy a CFD software.

• Personally, I have used very often formulas for heat transfer between a large cylinder and wind perpendicular to the cylinder. On this basis, I can calculate the heat loss from a rotary kiln.
  • I also sometimes used a formula for a rotating cylinder without wind, but in that case I had to figure out a plausible formula taking into account the rugosity of the surface. In this case the wind is related to the rotation of the cylinder.
  • Sometimes I had to use formulas for natural convection. In this case, there is no forced convection due to wind, but there is anyway a motion of air past the object dur to the natural convection.

My preffered book on this topic is this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0070479828/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Unfortunately, there is no preview available for this book.

Last edited by a moderator:
klimatos said:
If vaporization is involved, then the amount of heat loss will be a function of the surface temperature, the humidity of the air, the enthalpy of vaporization at that temperature, and the diffusion rate.

Plus, of course, wind velocity and angle of incidence.

To all the helpers, I think the OP refers to his last thread https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=473490.
Basically he wants to heat up (using fire) a pan filled with water and he wants to consider the effect of the wind on the net heat transfer in the pan.

Related to How do I calculate heat loss due to wind?

1. How does wind affect heat loss?

Wind can significantly increase heat loss by increasing the rate of heat transfer. This is because wind carries away the warm air surrounding an object and replaces it with cold air, creating a larger temperature difference and causing heat to dissipate more quickly.

2. What factors influence the calculation of heat loss due to wind?

The calculation of heat loss due to wind takes into account several factors, including wind speed, temperature difference, surface area and material of the object, and air density. These factors determine the rate at which heat is transferred and therefore affect the overall heat loss.

3. How do I calculate wind chill?

Wind chill is a measure of how cold it feels when the air temperature and wind speed are taken into account. To calculate wind chill, you can use a wind chill index formula, which takes into consideration the air temperature, wind speed, and the effects of wind on exposed skin.

4. Can I use a general formula to calculate heat loss due to wind?

While there are some general formulas for estimating heat loss due to wind, they may not be accurate for all situations. It is best to use a specific formula that takes into account the unique factors of your specific scenario, such as the type of object and wind conditions.

5. How can I reduce heat loss due to wind?

To reduce heat loss due to wind, you can take measures such as insulating the object, decreasing the surface area, or creating barriers to block the wind. These methods can help to slow down the transfer of heat and reduce the impact of wind on heat loss.