How Do I Calculate Electric Forces Between Charges?

In summary, the electric force that the first charge exerts on the second is -2.3 x 10^-5 N and the force that the second charge exerts on the first is -3.5 x 10^-5 N.
calculusisrad
Electric Charge Questions, Please help!

Homework Statement

I have three problems. I am absolutely desperate for answers. I cannot figure out what to do from the examples my book gives. It doesn't give examples in the book that relate to these problems, and I simply do not know what to do. It's very important that these get done fast. I'm basically screwed and this forum is my last resort, so please, please help.

A small charge of -2 x 10^ -8 C is at the point x = 2 m, y = 0 on the x axis/ A second small charge of -3 x 10^ -6 C is at the point x=0, y= -3.0 m on the y axis. What is the electric force that the first charge exerts on the second? What is the force that the second charge exerts on the first? Express your answers as vectors.

I know the answer is (-2.3 x 10^-5 N)i + (-3.5 x 10^-5 N)j, (2.3 * 10^-5 N)i + (3.5 * 10^-5 N)j, but I don't know how to get that.

Also:
Point charges +Q and -2Q are separated by a distance d. A point charge q is equidistant from these charges, at a distance x from their midpoint. What is the electric force on q?

Also:
A thin rod of length L is placed near a point charge q, with the nearest end a distance d from the charge and oriented radially as shown. The rod carries a uniform distribution of charge C coulombs per meter. Find the electric force that acts on the rod. (Hint: sum the force contribution dF = kqdq'r^2) due to each small charge dq' = Cdx on the rod to obtain the total force F = the antiderivative of dF.

If you could help with any or all of these, I would much appreciate it.

Homework Equations

F = (8.99 x 10^9 N*m^2/C^2)(qQ/r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

See above

Physics news on Phys.org
hi calculusisrad! :smile:

let's start with …
calculusisrad said:
A small charge of -2 x 10^ -8 C is at the point x = 2 m, y = 0 on the x axis/ A second small charge of -3 x 10^ -6 C is at the point x=0, y= -3.0 m on the y axis. What is the electric force that the first charge exerts on the second? What is the force that the second charge exerts on the first? Express your answers as vectors.

I know the answer is (-2.3 x 10^-5 N)i + (-3.5 x 10^-5 N)j, (2.3 * 10^-5 N)i + (3.5 * 10^-5 N)j, but I don't know how to get that.

F = (8.99 x 10^9 N*m^2/C^2)(qQ/r^2)

using the formula, i don't understand why you're not getting that result :confused:

how far have you got?

did you get the magnitude ok?

Hi...The formula that u had provided in your post will give you only the magnitude of the FORCE vector...
To get the direction of the resultant force, you must find the unit vector that represent the line joining the two charges... In this case , it is (3i - 2j)/√(9 + 4) = (3/√13)i - (2/√13)j.

Multiply this vector with result that u get using that formula , you ll get the answer.

Related to How Do I Calculate Electric Forces Between Charges?

1. What is electric charge?

Electric charge is a fundamental property of matter. It refers to the physical property of matter that causes it to experience a force when placed in an electromagnetic field.

2. What are the two types of electric charge?

The two types of electric charge are positive and negative. Positive charge is caused by an excess of protons, while negative charge is caused by an excess of electrons.

3. How is electric charge measured?

Electric charge is measured in units called coulombs (C). One coulomb is equal to the amount of charge that passes through a cross-section of a wire carrying a current of one ampere in one second.

4. What is the law of conservation of electric charge?

The law of conservation of electric charge states that electric charge can neither be created nor destroyed, it can only be transferred from one object to another.

5. How does electric charge affect the behavior of objects?

Electric charge can attract or repel other charged objects, depending on their charges. Oppositely charged objects will attract each other, while objects with the same charge will repel each other. Electric charge also plays a role in the flow of electricity through conductors and insulators.