How do I calculate a Pendulums energy loss?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the energy loss of a pendulum from top (Ep) to bottom (Ek) with given values for mass, length, height, and angle. The solution involves finding the difference in gravitational potential energy between the original height and the new height, and using that to calculate the energy lost to friction. It is mentioned that without additional information, such as the speed at the bottom, it is not possible to determine the exact energy lost. However, it is suggested that by showing the pendulum swings to at least 95% of its original height, it can be proven that gravitational potential energy was converted into kinetic energy with less than 5% energy loss.
Lightness

Homework Statement

How would I go about finding the energy loss of a Pendulum from top (Ep) to Bot (Ek)

Mass= 2.0kg
Length= 0.38m
height= 0.05091m
theta= 30°

2. The attempt at a solution

I know that we could find Ep by going mgh (2.0kg)(9.81m/s)(0.05091m)=1.0J of Ep

But how would I calculate Ek at the bottom and the amount of energy loss from Ep to Ek due to friction?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you ignore friction, your kinetic energy at the bottom of the swing would be equivalent to the gravitational potential. However without a second piece of information you can't determine what any losses are. Ideally you would need the speed of the pendulum at the bottom of the swing, or how high it reached on the other side.

Lancelot59 said:
If you ignore friction, your kinetic energy at the bottom of the swing would be equivalent to the gravitational potential. However without a second piece of information you can't determine what any losses are. Ideally you would need the speed of the pendulum at the bottom of the swing, or how high it reached on the other side.

What would I need to do after if I find out how high it reached on the other side?

Lightness said:
What would I need to do after if I find out how high it reached on the other side?

The difference in gravitational potential energy between the original height and the new height would be the energy lost to friction.

However that would be the energy lost to friction from the top to the "new top" whereas you wanted to find the energy lost to friction from the top to the bottom.

Ideally you would want to know the speed at the bottom (so you could calculate the kinetic energy)

Nathanael said:
The difference in gravitational potential energy between the original height and the new height would be the energy lost to friction.

However that would be the energy lost to friction from the top to the "new top" whereas you wanted to find the energy lost to friction from the top to the bottom.

Ideally you would want to know the speed at the bottom (so you could calculate the kinetic energy)

How would I go about finding the velocity?

I have tried √2gh but that is for no friction and that all Ep tranfers to Ek

Lightness said:
How would I go about finding the velocity?

I have tried √2gh but that is for no friction and that all Ep tranfers to Ek

Yes, for the idealized case. Like I stated you can't solve this problem fully without more information specified. You don't have enough known values unfortunately.

The best you can do is solve it symbolically.

[tex]E_{kinetic}=E_{friction}+E_{potential}[/tex]

Fill in the blank for potential, and isolate variables as desired.

Lightness said:
the energy loss of a Pendulum from top (Ep) to Bot (Ek)

Mass= 2.0kg
Length= 0.38m
height= 0.05091m
theta= 30°
Is that the whole question? Are you sure you've left nothing out?

haruspex said:
Is that the whole question? Are you sure you've left nothing out?

It wasnt really a question, more like a problem I came up with. I am suppose to make a device that could transfer close to 1 J of energy from one form to another with a energy loss of 5% of less. I was planing to make a pendulum and with the data I giving I could get 1 J of Ep but can't really calculate the loss of energy at Ek. So I guess this was a failed idea.

Lightness said:
It wasnt really a question, more like a problem I came up with. I am suppose to make a device that could transfer close to 1 J of energy from one form to another with a energy loss of 5% of less. I was planing to make a pendulum and with the data I giving I could get 1 J of Ep but can't really calculate the loss of energy at Ek. So I guess this was a failed idea.

Not necessarily. (You should've said that was your intention from the start.)

You do know one thing: the energy lost to friction from the original height to the height on the other side (which you could calculate, right?) will be more than (or at best, equal to) the energy lost to friction from the top to bottom.

So if the energy lost in the first swing (from original height to the new height) is 5% or less, then the energy lost form the original height to the bottom will be 5% or less (most likely less)And thus:
if you can show that the pendulum swings to 95% (or more) of it's original height (on the first swing) then you've essentially proven that you have converted gravitational potential energy into kinetic energy with less than 5% energy loss

Nathanael said:
Not necessarily. (You should've said that was your intention from the start.)

You do know one thing: the energy lost to friction from the original height to the height on the other side (which you could calculate, right?) will be more than (or at best, equal to) the energy lost to friction from the top to bottom.

So if the energy lost in the first swing (from original height to the new height) is 5% or less, then the energy lost form the original height to the bottom will be 5% or less (most likely less)

And thus:
if you can show that the pendulum swings to 95% (or more) of it's original height (on the first swing) then you've essentially proven that you have converted gravitational potential energy into kinetic energy with less than 5% energy loss

Yea I should of. Even if I do this this way, could I find out exactly what Ek equals to? or is there really no way of finding the value of Ek in this situation?

Lightness said:
Yea I should of. Even if I do this this way, could I find out exactly what Ek equals to? or is there really no way of finding the value of Ek in this situation?

You could approximate it fairly accurately, but I can't think of any way to find an exact value of the kinetic energy without directly measuring the speed.
(If you understand how the friction works, (which I don't tbh,) then you could maybe calculate the kinetic energy. For example, if you somehow know that the same amount of friction is lost per distance that it swings, then you could calculate the frictional loss from original height to new height, then use that to find the friction loss per distance, then use that to calculate the frictional loss from top to bottom, and thus calculate the kinetic energy.)But as long as all you need to do is prove that it's at least 95% efficient, the method in my last post should suffice (assuming you have some way to measure the height it swings to)

Nathanael said:
(If you understand how the friction works, (which I don't tbh,) then you could maybe calculate the kinetic energy. For example, if you somehow know that the same amount of friction is lost per distance that it swings, then you could calculate the frictional loss from original height to new height, then use that to find the friction loss per distance, then use that to calculate the frictional loss from top to bottom, and thus calculate the kinetic energy.)
It'll be a frictional torque, proportional to the tension in the pendulum. Ignoring the slight increase from the centripetal force when at bottom of swing, that'll be mg cos(θ) when at angle θ to vertical. Integrating, work is mgr sin(ψ) per quarter oscillation, where ψ is the swing amplitude. Since this reduces the amplitude, we get a recurrence relation on ψn.
5% loss per swing would be a very poor pendulum.

Related to How do I calculate a Pendulums energy loss?

What is a pendulum's energy loss?

A pendulum's energy loss refers to the decrease in the total energy of a pendulum over time due to various factors such as friction, air resistance, and material deformation.

What is the formula for calculating a pendulum's energy loss?

The formula for calculating a pendulum's energy loss is given by:
Energy Loss = Initial Energy - Final Energy = (mgh - 1/2mv2) - (mgh - 1/2mvend2), where m is the mass of the pendulum, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the initial height of the pendulum, and vend is the velocity at the end of the swing.

What factors affect a pendulum's energy loss?

Several factors affect a pendulum's energy loss, including the length of the pendulum, the mass of the pendulum, the amplitude of the swing, the angle of the swing, and external factors such as air resistance, friction, and material deformation.

How does the length of a pendulum affect its energy loss?

The length of a pendulum directly affects its energy loss. A longer pendulum has a longer period of oscillation and therefore experiences more cycles of energy loss, resulting in a greater overall energy loss compared to a shorter pendulum.

How can you reduce a pendulum's energy loss?

To reduce a pendulum's energy loss, you can reduce the amount of external factors such as air resistance and friction by using a smoother material for the pendulum and reducing its amplitude and angle of swing. Additionally, using a shorter pendulum and minimizing the number of oscillations can also help reduce energy loss.