How do i begin studying physics?

In summary: Some degrees only have a 'major' like Physics - you only take physics classes. Other degrees like "Physics with a minor in mathematics" means you take most of your classes in Physics but also take a lot of classes in mathematics.In summary, the person is interested in physics and mathematics and enjoys studying them, but is currently studying medicine in order to secure a job in their country. They recently finished a book on cosmology and want to further their knowledge in physics and understand the laws of the universe. They are wondering what they should do to study physics and what a physics minor is. The expert suggests that they need a physics degree to work in the field, but they can also teach themselves using online resources. A minor is a type
zahero_2007
Hi ,
I am interested in physics and mathematics however i am not a physics college student.I'm however studying medicine although the only subjects that i loved in high school are physics and mathematics . I entered the medical college because in my country , unless you are a doctor , you will not find a job . graduates of the college of science in my country almost work as taxi drivers . I have just finished the book fundamentals of modern cosmology which i found very interesting and that caused me to like physics . I want to read farther in physics as i will be able to understand the laws by which this universe operates . I want to know about the fields of the mathematics that should be known by me in order to understand most of the fields of physics . What should i do if i want to study physics . and what is a physics minor?

Physics news on Phys.org
zahero_2007 said:
Hi ,
What should i do if i want to study physics . and what is a physics minor?

That depends, do you think you want to work in physics? If so, you'll need a physics degree. Otherwise, you can teach yourself perhaps using the MIT opencourseware material that is quite good.

A 'minor' is a type of undergraduate degree - a 'minor' or 'major' reflects the amount of time one has spent taking classes (i.e. credits) in a particular subject.

Related to How do i begin studying physics?

1. How do I know if studying physics is right for me?

If you enjoy exploring the world around you, asking questions, and solving problems, then physics may be a good fit for you. Additionally, having a strong foundation in math and being curious about the fundamental principles of the universe are important traits for studying physics.

2. What should be my first step in studying physics?

The first step in studying physics is to familiarize yourself with the basic concepts and principles. This can be done by reading introductory textbooks, watching educational videos, or attending lectures. It is also important to have a good understanding of algebra and calculus, as these are essential tools in physics.

3. How do I stay motivated while studying physics?

One way to stay motivated while studying physics is to constantly remind yourself of the real-world applications of the concepts you are learning. You can also set specific goals for yourself and track your progress, as well as seek out study groups or tutors for support and accountability.

4. How much time should I dedicate to studying physics?

The amount of time you should dedicate to studying physics depends on your individual learning style and course load. However, as a general rule, it is recommended to spend at least 2-3 hours outside of class for every hour spent in class. It is also important to spread out your studying over several days instead of cramming all at once.

5. Are there any online resources that can help me in studying physics?

Yes, there are many online resources available to help you in studying physics. Some popular options include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Physics Classroom. These resources offer a variety of videos, practice problems, and interactive simulations to help you better understand and apply physics concepts.