How do I balance NH3 + H2O -----> NH4OH?

In summary, the conversation was about balancing chemical equations. The person was having trouble balancing equations and provided an example of NH3 + H2O -----> NH4OH. They tried to balance it as 8NH3 + H2O -----> 2NH4OH but couldn't figure out how to balance the NH3. The expert pointed out that there is only 1 N on the left side and it should be balanced by looking at individual elements. They also clarified that if it was a different molecule, like carbonate, there would only be 1 carbon and 3 oxygens, not 3 carbons and 3 oxygens. The person thanked the expert for their help.
caprija
I"m having trouble with balancing these equations, they aren't working out or I'm just not doing them right :confused:

NH3 + H2O -----> NH4OH

This is what I tried

8NH3 + H2O -----> 2NH4OH

i can't seen to balance out NH

Physics news on Phys.org
its already balanced!

how though? there are 3 NH on one side and 4 NH on the other.

Is this the equation:

[tex] NH_{3} + H_{2}O \rightarrow NH_{4}OH [/tex]

courtrigrad said:
Is this the equation:

[tex] NH_{3} + H_{2}O \rightarrow NH_{4}OH [/tex]
yes...

So there's only 1 N on the left hand side, not 2. Balance the elements. Why are you looking at NH together? Thus, its balanced.

courtrigrad said:
So there's only 1 N on the left hand side, not 2. Balance the elements. Why are you looking at NH together? Thus, its balanced.

I thought it was together :blushing:

So if it was let's say carbonate (CO3)

there would be 1 carbon and 3 oxygens right?

yes that is correct. it wouldn't be 3 carbons and 3 oxygens.

courtrigrad said:
yes that is correct. it wouldn't be 3 carbons and 3 oxygens.
Thanks so much!

Related to How do I balance NH3 + H2O -----> NH4OH?

What is the purpose of balancing equations?

The purpose of balancing equations is to ensure that there is an equal number of atoms on both sides of the equation. This is necessary because in a chemical reaction, atoms are not created or destroyed, they are simply rearranged. Balancing equations allows us to accurately represent the reactants and products involved in a chemical reaction.

How do you know if an equation is balanced?

An equation is considered balanced when the number of atoms of each element is the same on both sides of the equation. This means that the total mass and charge must also be equal on both sides. Additionally, the law of conservation of mass must be satisfied, meaning that the total number of each type of atom must be the same before and after the reaction.

What are the steps for balancing an equation?

The steps for balancing an equation are as follows:

1. Write out the unbalanced equation, making sure all reactants and products are listed.
  2. Count the number of atoms of each element on both sides of the equation.
  3. Add coefficients (numbers in front of a molecule or atom) to balance the elements with the highest number of atoms first.
  4. Check to see if the equation is balanced. If not, adjust the coefficients until the number of atoms on each side is equal.
  5. Double check to make sure the total mass and charge are also balanced.

What are some tips for balancing equations more easily?

One tip for balancing equations is to start with the most complex molecules first, such as polyatomic ions. Another tip is to balance elements that appear only once on each side of the equation first, as this will make it easier to balance the remaining elements. It can also be helpful to double check the number of each atom after each step to make sure you are on the right track.

Why is it important to balance equations accurately?

It is important to balance equations accurately because it ensures that the law of conservation of mass is being followed. Inaccurately balanced equations can lead to incorrect calculations and predictions about a chemical reaction. Additionally, balanced equations help us to better understand the reactants and products involved in a reaction and how they are related to one another.