How Do Helium Leak Detectors Work?

In summary, helium leak detectors work by quickly detecting helium leaking into a system at low pressure. Helium molecules have a fast propagation rate and can easily reach the leak detector even in small enclosures due to their high velocity. The speed of propagation also depends on the vacuum level and the size of the leak. In some cases, the pumping of the vacuum can also help to move the helium molecules towards the detector. However, the speed of detection can vary depending on factors such as the efficiency of the vacuum system and the presence of obstacles in the system.
tot
I am trying to figure out how Helium Leak Detectors work.
If a leak detector is pumping on an enclosure that is at a low pressure, the detector will detect helium leaking into the system instantly as far as my human senses can tell.
The helium will propagate 4 meters in a time so small I can't even sense.
How is this possible?
There can't be very much airflow through the system because the leak is so small.

does helium propagate this quickly through air?
or is simply because the pressure is low in the enclosure?
why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Leak detectors aren't that fast, it will take a few seconds for it to react even if you are pumping on a small enclosure and when trying to find a small leak (say 10^ 9 - 10 ^-8 m|barl/s) in a large enclosure it can easily take half a minute or more beforethe helium reaches the mass spectrometer in the leak detector.

from my experience I could not even notice any time.
Perhaps my enclosures are small in comparison to yours.
I would say perhaps 3 cubic meters on the inside of a 6 in pipe.
Does it propagate faster because of the vacuum?

Because it does not seem like the pumping would be making much of an air current due to the very small size of the leaks.

Last edited:
tot said:
from my experience I could not even notice any time.
Perhaps my enclosures are small in comparison to yours.
I would say perhaps 3 cubic meters on the inside of a 6 in pipe.
Does it propagate faster because of the vacuum?

Because it does not seem like the pumping would be making much of an air current due to the very small size of the leaks.

Of course it all depends. Depends on how good the vacuum is and how big the leak is and how efficient the pumping is etc. With a good vacuum system (corners tend to slow down pumping) and a sizeable leak you can have a pretty decent flow to the pump. But of course there is more to it than that. In a gas molecules are bouncing about with pretty decent velocity. So if you pull a good vacuum you can have pretty long mean free paths which means that the leak molecules also diffuse quite rapidly down the system even if the pump is not creating much of a pressure differential to "pump" them.

It also depends what's in the vacuum. If it's a cryogenic system with many layers of superinsulation it can take a lot longer for the helium to work it's way through.

Related to How Do Helium Leak Detectors Work?

1. What is a helium leak detector?

A helium leak detector is a scientific instrument used to detect and measure the presence of helium gas in a sealed system. It is commonly used in industries such as aerospace, refrigeration, and semiconductor manufacturing to ensure the integrity of sealed systems.

2. How does a helium leak detector work?

A helium leak detector works by using a vacuum pump to remove air and other gases from a sealed system. Helium gas is then introduced into the system, and if there is a leak present, the helium will escape and be detected by a mass spectrometer or other sensing mechanism.

3. What is the sensitivity of a helium leak detector?

The sensitivity of a helium leak detector depends on the type and model of the instrument. However, most modern helium leak detectors have a sensitivity of detecting leaks as small as 1x10^-9 mbar*l/s, making them incredibly accurate and reliable.

4. How do I interpret the results from a helium leak detector?

The results from a helium leak detector will typically show the rate of helium gas detected and the location of the leak. The rate of helium gas detected can help determine the size of the leak, while the location can guide technicians in repairing the leak.

5. Are there any limitations to using a helium leak detector?

While helium leak detectors are highly accurate and sensitive, they do have limitations. They can only detect leaks that involve helium gas and cannot detect leaks in certain materials such as plastic or rubber. Additionally, the size of the leak may affect the accuracy of the results.