How Do Graph Relations and Predicates Work in Discrete Math?

In summary, the person is asking for help understanding two parts of their Discrete Maths course as they missed some classes. They have attached pictures of the questions and are requesting someone to simplify the concept of different types of relations. They also want to know the definitions of reflexive, transitive, (anti)symmetric, and the meaning of a large dot and ":" in the predicates.
confusedgal
Hi :)

I have my Discrete maths final in 2 days, and I was doing some practice questions and came across 2 parts that completely baffled me - I moved onto my course a bit late so I missed chunks from classes.

please please please, can you explain them to me? I've put the questions in pictures, they're attached :).

Ive read on the different types of relations, but its like gibberish. Can someone please simplify them? please?

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/7435/predicatesfp6.jpg
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/315/graphrelationssk7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the graphs, can you state the definitions of reflexive, transitive, and (anti)symmetric that you are supposed to use?

For the predicates, what does a large dot mean? What does ":" mean?

Hi there!

Firstly, let's define what a relation and a predicate are.

A relation is a set of ordered pairs, where the first element is called the input or domain, and the second element is called the output or range. It is a way to show how elements from one set are related to elements of another set. For example, the relation {(1,2), (3,4), (5,6)} shows that 1 is related to 2, 3 is related to 4, and 5 is related to 6.

A predicate is a statement that can be either true or false, depending on the values of its variables. It is used to describe properties or characteristics of objects or elements in a set. For example, the predicate "x is an even number" is true for all even numbers and false for all odd numbers.

Now, let's look at the first question about predicates. In this question, we are given a set of elements and a predicate, and we are asked to determine which elements satisfy the predicate. So, for example, in the first part, the predicate is "x is a multiple of 3", and the set of elements is {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6}. To solve this, we go through each element in the set and check if it satisfies the predicate. In this case, only 3 and 6 satisfy the predicate, so the answer is {3, 6}.

Now, let's move on to the second question about graph relations. In this question, we are given a graph and we are asked to determine the relation it represents. The graph shows the relationship between two sets, where the elements on the left side are the domain and the elements on the right side are the range. So, for example, in the first part, we can see that 1 is related to 2, 3 is related to 4, and 5 is related to 6, which matches the relation we saw earlier: {(1,2), (3,4), (5,6)}.

I hope this helps to clarify things for you. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Good luck on your exam!

Related to How Do Graph Relations and Predicates Work in Discrete Math?

1. What are graph relations and predicates?

Graph relations and predicates are mathematical concepts used to represent and analyze the relationships between different objects or entities. They are commonly used in the field of computer science, specifically in graph theory and database management.

2. How are graph relations and predicates different from each other?

Graph relations are used to describe the connections or links between two or more objects, while predicates are used to define the conditions or properties that must be satisfied for a relationship to exist. In other words, relations describe the "what" of a relationship, while predicates describe the "how."

3. What are some common types of graph relations?

Some common types of graph relations include directed and undirected relations, binary and ternary relations, and reflexive, symmetric, and transitive relations. Other types include equivalence relations, partial orders, and adjacency relations.

4. How are graph relations and predicates represented?

Graph relations and predicates can be represented in various ways, including using graphs or diagrams, mathematical notation, or tables. In databases, they are often represented using SQL queries or structured query language.

5. What are some real-world applications of graph relations and predicates?

Graph relations and predicates have numerous applications, such as in social networks, transportation networks, and computer networks. They are also commonly used in data mining, machine learning, and artificial intelligence to analyze and identify patterns and relationships in large datasets.