How Do Forces F1 and F2 Affect the Speed of a Slider Block?

In summary, the 40 kg slider block is initially moving to the right with a speed of 1.5 m/s and is acted upon by forces F1 and F2. The forces vary according to the attached graph and the goal is to determine the block's speed at t=6s. Using the equation mV1 + summation (integral of) F * dt = mV2, the area under each part of the graph is calculated and added together. The force on the block is actually 4 times F1 because of the pulley system. The correct answer is 12 m/s.
jjiimmyy101
Question: The 40 kg slider block is moving to the right with a speed of 1.5 m/s when it is acted upon by the forces F1 and F2. If these loadings vary as shown (in the attachment called graph), determine the speed of the block at t =6s. Neglect friction and the mass of the pulleys and cords.

The graph doesn't really look like I drew it but you can get the picture (I hope).

This is what I did so far:

Equation: mV1 + summation (integral of) F * dt = mV2

So I calculated the area under each part of the graph and added them together like so

40*(1.5) + 30*(4-0) + 10*(6-4) + 10*(2-0) + 20*(4-2) + 40*(6-4) = 40V2

340 = 40V2
V2 = 8.5 m/s

Is this right?

Attachments

• diagram.jpg
    diagram.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 575
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's the graph.

Attachments

• graph.jpg
    graph.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 493
Well, F1 acts in the opposite direction of F2 so one of them needs to get a minus sign in your calculations. The graph shows the forces as scalars (i.e it only tells you their magnitutde), not as vectors. Also, if the right cord is pulled by F1, then the force on the block is actually 4 times F1, because of the pulley system.

Ohhhhhhhhhh! Thank-you. I get it now. The answer is 12 m/s.

Related to How Do Forces F1 and F2 Affect the Speed of a Slider Block?

What is impulse?

Impulse is the product of force and time, and is defined as the change in momentum of an object.

What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, and is defined as the product of an object's mass and velocity.

How are impulse and momentum related?

Impulse is directly proportional to the change in momentum of an object. This means that a larger impulse will result in a larger change in momentum.

What factors affect an object's momentum?

An object's momentum is affected by its mass and velocity. The greater the mass or velocity, the greater the object's momentum will be.

How can impulse and momentum be used to solve real-world problems?

Impulse and momentum can be used to analyze collisions and impacts between objects, and to calculate the resulting changes in velocity and direction of motion. This information is important in fields such as engineering, physics, and sports science.