How Do Faraday's Laws Relate to Magnetic Energy Dissipation in a Cylinder?

In summary, the problem involves a thin cylinder in a uniform magnetic field, and the goal is to find the initial current and dissipation rate of energy as the cylinder is removed from the field. The equation B0=(μ0I0)/(2pi(r)) is not applicable as the current is not generating the B field. Instead, Faraday's law should be used to relate the external B field and the motion of the cylinder to find the current.
Rider4

Homework Statement

A thin cylinder of radius r, thickness s, and length L, is made of metal with a resistivity of ρ. The cylinder is resting in a uniform magnetic field B0, with the field being in the same direction as the axis of the cylinder. The cylinder is then removed from the field. Find the current I0 that would be flowing initially, then find the rate at which energy would be dissipated by the resistance of the cylinder to the current flowing around it, and finally, find how long it would take at that rate for the magnetic energy in the cylinder to be dissipated.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used B0=(μ0I0)/(2pi(r))
Then I solved for I0=((B0)(2pi(r))/(μ0)
I'm not too sure of the equations that I need to solve parts 2 and 3 of the problem. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rider4 said:

Homework Statement

A thin cylinder of radius r, thickness s, and length L, is made of metal with a resistivity of ρ. The cylinder is resting in a uniform magnetic field B0, with the field being in the same direction as the axis of the cylinder. The cylinder is then removed from the field. Find the current I0 that would be flowing initially, then find the rate at which energy would be dissipated by the resistance of the cylinder to the current flowing around it, and finally, find how long it would take at that rate for the magnetic energy in the cylinder to be dissipated.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used B0=(μ0I0)/(2pi(r))
Then I solved for I0=((B0)(2pi(r))/(μ0)
I'm not too sure of the equations that I need to solve parts 2 and 3 of the problem. Any help is greatly appreciated.

You're trying to use an equation that relates the B field due to a current i (aka Ampere's law). Here the B field is not generated by the current you're looking for. The current you're looking for is the result of the external B field and the motion imparted to the cylinder as it's being removed from the B field.

Think Faraday instead.

Related to How Do Faraday's Laws Relate to Magnetic Energy Dissipation in a Cylinder?

1. What is a cylinder in a magnetic field?

A cylinder in a magnetic field is a cylindrical object that is placed within a magnetic field. The cylinder can be made of any material, but it must be able to conduct electricity in order for it to interact with the magnetic field.

2. How does a cylinder behave in a magnetic field?

The behavior of a cylinder in a magnetic field depends on the direction of the magnetic field and the orientation of the cylinder. If the magnetic field is perpendicular to the cylinder, it will experience a force that causes it to rotate. If the magnetic field is parallel to the cylinder, it will experience no force.

3. What is the direction of the force on a cylinder in a magnetic field?

The direction of the force on a cylinder in a magnetic field is determined by the right-hand rule. If you point your thumb in the direction of the current in the cylinder, and your fingers in the direction of the magnetic field, the direction your palm is facing will be the direction of the force on the cylinder.

4. How is the force on a cylinder in a magnetic field calculated?

The force on a cylinder in a magnetic field can be calculated using the equation F = BIL, where B is the strength of the magnetic field, I is the current in the cylinder, and L is the length of the cylinder that is inside the magnetic field.

5. What are some real-world applications of a cylinder in a magnetic field?

A cylinder in a magnetic field is used in many different applications, including electric motors, generators, and MRI machines. It is also used in particle accelerators to manipulate and direct charged particles. Additionally, magnetic levitation trains use cylinders in a magnetic field to achieve propulsion and levitation.