How do employers/academics view an MSci v MSc? (UK)

• Thread starter ZedCar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Msc Uk
In summary: The MSci is an undergraduate degree, while the MSc is a postgraduate degree.Some universities may choose to market it differently, but it is generally considered to be equivalent to a BSc plus an MSc. Some may even argue that it is a more comprehensive degree, as it contains both undergraduate and postgraduate level courses and a research component.In summary, the MSci degree, also known as the MPhys in some universities, is a four-year undergraduate program that is considered equivalent to a BSc plus an MSc. It contains 120 credits and includes a research component, making it a more comprehensive degree. Employers and academics generally view the MSci as equal to a BSc plus an MSc, despite having less credits
ZedCar
If completing a Physics MSci, the fourth year contains 120 credits. Therefore being equivalent, in terms of credits, to a BSc plus a post-grad diploma.

How do employers, or academics if going into research, view an MSci?

Do they generally consider the MSci to be equal to a BSc plus an MSc (even though it contains less credits).

Or do they equate an MSci to a BSc plus a post-grad diploma, which it does equate in terms of credits?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
To save everyone from googling to try and find a more concrete difference between these two degrees it'd be cool if you included some more information.

Is the "Physics MSci" a 2 year masters program of pure research, are the 120 credits made up of mostly research based units or are they more formal classes?

Is the "BSc + MSc" an accelerated version of the "Physics MSci"? After this diploma is the next step Phd?

It sounds like the "BSc + MSc" is kind of like an honours degree.

Of course I'm probably not the best person to answer the question but I no one else has really gave it a shot, the first thing I would be doing is talking to lecturers, other post graduate students, post doctoral students, anyone around who has already been in your position.

Where I'm from a "BSc + MSci" would be a short cut into a Phd program, which means that students who decide to take this path have already planned to continue onto Phd and have pretty good grades.

The normal MSc would be chosen by a student who either couldn't get into an "Bsc + MSci" program or is planning on stopping after obtaining the MSc to go looking for jobs.

It really, really depends on what kind of jobs you are talking about as well. If you are planning on going into research within a university I would think the best path to go would be the "BSc + MSc" if you think you can obtain high enough grades to score a Phd scholarship / access into a Phd program, but at the end of the program, if you decide to stop your studies and go job hunting (which I guess is your biggest concern) I think employers would generally favour a full MSc over the post-graduate diploma. I think that is the case because you would gain a lot more experience during the full MSc program.

So yea, I think that employers, in industry type jobs, would favour the MSc, whereas if you're looking to go into research the post-graduate diploma would be the way to go (If it is possible to get into a Phd program afterwards) because you its more likely academics would hire post-doctoral students over post-masters.

Most importantly, you should talk to some of your teachers to see what they say and ask about what their past students have been doing.

Anyway, I hope it kind of helped.

Likes 1 person
To be honest I've never heard of a MSci degree before this post, and I've been interviewing graduate level job applicants for several years in the UK.

A bit of googling says It's a BSc degree plus a few "higher level" courses, right?

If it was "worth" the same as an MSc, why would it have a different name? Call me a cynic if you like, but it sounds like something the university marketing department dreamed up to get a more students, and/or charge them higher fees...

Likes Asterion
ZedCar said:
If completing a Physics MSci, the fourth year contains 120 credits.

In what system? Not all UK universities operate modular systems with course credits.

A Batchelor's degree plus a one-year Master's degree is supposed to be roughly equivalent to a four-year Master's degree. Not all universities offer both options.

The Msci (or MPhys) are quite well known.

Here is a listed of IoP accredited courses:
http://www.iop.org/education/higher_education/recognition/file_43322.pdf

You'll observe there are several such courses. The MSci/MPhys are simply a 4-year undergraduate course after which someone can graduate with either one of these two qualifications. They therefore do not graduate with a BSc. Instead they graduate with the degree title MSci/MPhys, this difference indicating that they did not complete a BSc and then undertake a separate post-graduate MSc course.

From what I have learned since my original post employers may see the MPhs/MSci in something of a similar light to a BSc+MSc (even though it has less credits). Although, of course, this is just opinion.

4th year of MPhs/MSci has two semesters as opposed to three semesters in a year long MSc.

They might see MPhys/MSci as more than a BSc + post-grad diploma as with a post-grad diploma there is no research component which there is with an MSci (or an MSc).

Last edited:
AlephZero said:
To be honest I've never heard of a MSci degree before this post, and I've been interviewing graduate level job applicants for several years in the UK.

A bit of googling says It's a BSc degree plus a few "higher level" courses, right?

If it was "worth" the same as an MSc, why would it have a different name? Call me a cynic if you like, but it sounds like something the university marketing department dreamed up to get a more students, and/or charge them higher fees...

According to the national qualifications framework it is worth the same, and indeed employers and academics also treat them the same.

It's basically the science version of the (more familiar) MEng.

It has a different name to avoid confusion between it and the postgraduate masters, i.e. the MSc.

Related to How do employers/academics view an MSci v MSc? (UK)

1. How do employers/academics view an MSci v MSc in the UK?

Employers and academics generally view an MSci (Master of Science) and an MSc (Master of Science) in the UK as equivalent in terms of academic rigor and value. However, the MSci degree may be perceived as more research-focused and may be preferred for certain careers or academic pursuits.

2. What is the main difference between an MSci and an MSc in the UK?

The main difference between an MSci and an MSc in the UK is the level of research and practical experience required. An MSci degree typically involves a longer program, with a greater emphasis on research and a final thesis or project. In contrast, an MSc degree may be completed in a shorter time frame and may have a coursework-only or project-based option.

3. Are there any specific industries or fields where an MSci may be more advantageous than an MSc in the UK?

An MSci degree may be more advantageous in industries or fields that require a strong research background or a deep understanding of a specific scientific discipline. This can include fields such as pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, and academic research.

4. Can I pursue a PhD with an MSci or an MSc in the UK?

Both an MSci and an MSc degree can serve as a strong foundation for pursuing a PhD in the UK. However, some PhD programs may have specific requirements or preferences for one degree over the other. It is best to research the specific requirements of your desired PhD program before deciding on which degree to pursue.

5. Will an MSci or an MSc affect my job prospects or salary in the UK?

In most cases, employers and academics in the UK do not differentiate between an MSci and an MSc degree when considering job prospects or salary. Both degrees are seen as valuable and can lead to similar career opportunities and salary potential. Other factors, such as work experience, skills, and personal achievements, may have a greater impact on job prospects and salary.