How Do Dirac Spinors Relate to the Ricci Scalar in Curved Spacetime?

In summary, the conversation discusses the computation of the square of the Dirac operator in curved space-time and the application of the Dirac equation for massless fermions. The goal is to show that Dirac spinors obey a particular equation involving the Ricci scalar. The conversation also mentions the use of the vierbein - spin connection formalism and the commutator of covariant derivatives, which is related to the curvature tensor. The person seeking help is struggling with computing this term and is looking for guidance or a reference for solving the equation.
Gauge86
I have to compute the square of the Dirac operator, D=γaeμaDμ , in curved space time (DμΨ=∂μΨ+AabμΣab is the covariant derivative of the spinor field and Σab the Lorentz generators involving gamma matrices). Dirac equation for the massless fermion is γaeμaDμΨ=0. In particular I have to show that Dirac spinors obey the following equation:
(−DμDμ+14R)Ψ=0 (1)
where R is (I guess) the Ricci scalar. Appling to the Dirac eq, the operator γνDν and decomposing the product γμγν in symmetric and antisymmetric part I found:
DμDμΨ+14[γμν][Dμ,Dν]Ψ=0
Now I have troubles to show that this last object is related with the Ricci scalar. Can somebody help me or suggest me the right way to solve Eq. (1)?

Physics news on Phys.org
In the last Equation is 1/4 and not 14.

The commutator of <curved> covariant derivatives is proportional to a term involving the curvature tensor (in terms of vierbeins) and to another term involving the torsion tensor (again written in terms of vierbeins). This is a standard result which you should check by yourself or look it up in a book. You should really compute this term:

[tex] [\gamma^{\mu},\gamma^{\nu}][D_{\mu},D_{\nu}] \Psi [/tex]

Thanks. The problem is that I'm not able to compute that term. I guess something like:

μρ] Rμρ ψ

Moreover I do not know if this is the right way to solve Equation (1).

Try Nakahara's book for a useful reference on the vierbein - spin connection formalism. We can't perform the calculations for you.

@gauge86:you might be aware of that covariant derivatives don't commute.In GR you might have seen that this difference amounts to curvature tensor.So that commutator must likely to be ricci curvature tensor or something equivalent.

Related to How Do Dirac Spinors Relate to the Ricci Scalar in Curved Spacetime?

What are spinors in curved space-time?

Spinors are mathematical objects used to describe the intrinsic angular momentum of particles in the framework of Einstein's theory of general relativity, which deals with the curvature of space-time.

How are spinors related to space-time curvature?

Spinors are sensitive to the curvature of space-time and change in a predictable way as particles move through curved space-time. This allows them to be used in calculations of how particles behave in the presence of gravity.

What is the significance of spinors in physics?

Spinors play a crucial role in describing the behavior of particles in curved space-time, allowing for predictions about the effects of gravity on particles. They also have applications in quantum mechanics and particle physics.

Are spinors a fundamental part of the universe?

Spinors are a fundamental part of our current understanding of the universe, as they are necessary for accurately describing the behavior of particles in the presence of gravity. However, they may not be the most fundamental level of reality and could potentially be built upon by more fundamental theories in the future.

Can spinors be observed or measured?

Spinors, like many mathematical concepts in physics, cannot be directly observed or measured. However, their effects can be observed through the behavior of particles in curved space-time, and their predictions have been confirmed through experiments and observations in the field of astrophysics.