How do diffraction and refraction affect wave propagation?

In summary: I see. So the wave would be scattered in all directions, regardless of whether or not the interface is also a plane.:)Thanks for the explanation!
hasan_researc
Why do waves spread out after emerging from a narrow ([tex]\leq\lambda[/tex]) opening?

Also, why do waves change direction at boundaries between regions where the wave speed differs?

I have tried to find answers to these questions by searching on the Net, but with no luck.:-(

Science news on Phys.org
hasan_researc said:
Why do waves spread out after emerging from a narrow ([tex]\leq\lambda[/tex]) opening?

Rather than re-invent the wheel here, I would refer you to Chapters 29 - 31 in "The Feynman Lectures on Physics," Vol. 1. Happy studying!

Thanks for the reference!

By "re-inventing the wheel", do you mean working out the answer by myself?

Also, do you have any suggestions for my second question, please?

For why the direction of the wave changes at a boundary, I think it's most intuitive to think about conservation of momentum in the plane of the interface. Momentum is h/lamda times the cosine of the angle to the interface, it can't change in that plane since there is no force. The component of momentum has to stay the same as wavelength changes, so the angle changes.

Conservation of momentum perpendicular to the interface is what really throws me...

hasan_researc said:
Thanks for the reference!

By "re-inventing the wheel", do you mean working out the answer by myself?

Also, do you have any suggestions for my second question, please?

In the "wheel" comment I meant that I would not re-type some of the material Feynman covers in the suggested reference. I have always found it easiest, regarding the change of beam direction at an interface, to consider a plane wave. Assuming the interface is also a plane, one expects the incident and transmitted waves both to be plane. Since one part of the incident wave reaches the interface before another part, and since the propagation speed is, say, lower in the new medium, the final, transmitted wave's Poynting vector must point in a different direction in the new medium.

johng23 said:
For why the direction of the wave changes at a boundary, I think it's most intuitive to think about conservation of momentum in the plane of the interface. Momentum is h/lamda times the cosine of the angle to the interface, it can't change in that plane since there is no force. The component of momentum has to stay the same as wavelength changes, so the angle changes.

Conservation of momentum perpendicular to the interface is what really throws me...

Thank you for your contribution! First, I have written below what I have understood from your post. Then, I have written about my own interpretation.

Let's consider electromagnetic radiation for the moment. We know that if light travels from a less dense to a denser medium, then the angle of refraction < angle of incidence. Therefore, the angle theta from the interface to the ray has increased after refraction.

This picture you have interpreted quantum-mechanically. A wave can behave as a particle with p = hk. In the direction parallel to the interface, p = hk cos(theta). k increases, so cos(theta) decreases, so theta increases. Therefore, observation agrees with the principle of momentum conservation applied parallel to the interface.

In the direction perpendicular to the interface, p = hk sin(theta). k increases, so sin(theta) decreases, so theta must decrease after refraction. But this is not what we observed in the second paragraph. So, there must be a loophole somewhere.

Either your analysis has a fallacy, or if that is not so, then the only logical conclusion is that there is a force acting on the photons perpendicular to the interface. This force arises in our discussion purely due to quantum-mechanical considerations, so the force cannot be described or found using classical physics. What might that force be?

I have used light as my example above. Now, how do we interpret quantum-mechanically the refraction of other waves, eg sound, water waves?

Can we not explain the origin of refraction using classical physics? Does the Huygen-Fresnel principle not explain refraction? I think we should try this approach as refraction must have been explained before the nineteenth century. I tried drawing secondary wavelets in a diagram of refraction to convince myself that the Huygen-Fresnel principle can indeed explain refraction, but the method is tedious and I've given up.

What are your thoughts?

GRDixon said:
Assuming the interface is also a plane, one expects the incident and transmitted waves both to be plane.

If the interface is also a plane, why should we expect the transmitted wave to be plane?:confused:

GRDixon said:
Since one part of the incident wave reaches the interface before another part, and since the propagation speed is, say, lower in the new medium, the final, transmitted wave's Poynting vector must point in a different direction in the new medium.

I'm sorry I don't understand this very well.:confused:

hasan_researc said:
If the interface is also a plane, why should we expect the transmitted wave to be plane?:confused:

I'm sorry I don't understand this very well.:confused:

If it weren't plane ... say if it was a spherical wave in the new medium ... what would determine where the center of curvature was, for example? Assuming the speed is single-valued in the new medium, the transmitted wave would have to be plane. Otherwise one part of the incident wave would, by inference, propagate at a different speed than another.

Related to How do diffraction and refraction affect wave propagation?

What is diffraction and how does it occur?

Diffraction is the bending of waves around obstacles or through small openings. It occurs when a wave encounters an obstacle or a slit that is comparable in size to its wavelength. This causes the wave to spread out and change direction, resulting in a diffraction pattern.

How is diffraction different from refraction?

Diffraction is the bending of waves around obstacles or through small openings, while refraction is the change in direction of a wave as it passes through a medium with a different density. Diffraction occurs due to the wave's interaction with an obstacle, while refraction occurs due to the change in the wave's speed and direction as it passes through a different medium.

What is the relationship between diffraction and wavelength?

The amount of diffraction that occurs is directly related to the wavelength of the wave. The longer the wavelength, the greater the amount of diffraction. This is why sound waves, which have longer wavelengths, diffract more than light waves, which have shorter wavelengths.

How do diffraction and refraction affect light?

Both diffraction and refraction can affect the behavior of light. Diffraction can cause light to spread out and create patterns, while refraction can change the direction of light and cause it to bend. These phenomena are important in understanding how light behaves and are used in various applications, such as lenses and prisms.

What are some real-world examples of diffraction and refraction?

Diffraction can be observed in everyday life through the bending of sound waves around obstacles, such as the corners of buildings. Refraction is also commonly seen when light passes through different media, such as when light travels through water and appears to bend. Other examples include the use of prisms in photography and the rainbow effect created by sunlight passing through water droplets in the atmosphere.