How Do Current Sources Affect CMRR in Differential Amplifiers?

In summary, the task is to calculate the ratio of CMRR of differential amplifier with current source from image a) and CMRR of differential amplifier from image b). The approach is to analyze the two differential amplifiers separately and then take the ratio of their CMRR's. The circuit is not much different from a previous one and can be solved by calculating the impedance of the two current sources and using equivalent circuits for the MOSFETs. It is important to note that the differential-mode gain of this circuit is infinite, so the focus should be on the I_SS networks.
etf
Hi!
Here is my task:
Current sources Iss which are used for differential amplifier in photo c) are shown in photos a) and b). DC voltages VB1 and VB2 provide saturation for all MOSFETS. Calculate ratio of CMRR of differential amplifier with current source from image a) and CMRR of differential amplifier from image b). gm1, gm2, rds1 and rds2 are known.

pojacavac.jpg

So here I have to analyse two differential amplifiers:
1. I have to find CMRR1 for differential amplifier c) with current source a)
2. I have to find CMRR2 for differential amplifier c) with current source b)

Final result would be CMRR1/CMRR2. My question is, is there better approach in solving this problem? There would be a lot of work in previous steps. Is it possible, for example, to analyse differential amplifier c) with current source b) , calculate CMRR2 and use CMRR2 to calculate CMRR1 (putting gm2=0, rds2=∞ in CMRR2) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's instructive for you to start with circuit (a), compute CMRR, then repeat for circuit (b). You will gain insight into MOS diff amp design by doing that. It is not a lot of extra work.

Likes 1 person
etf said:
Hi!
Here is my task:
Current sources Iss which are used for differential amplifier in photo c) are shown in photos a) and b). DC voltages VB1 and VB2 provide saturation for all MOSFETS. Calculate ratio of CMRR of differential amplifier with current source from image a) and CMRR of differential amplifier from image b). gm1, gm2, rds1 and rds2 are known.

View attachment 70669

So here I have to analyse two differential amplifiers:
1. I have to find CMRR1 for differential amplifier c) with current source a)
2. I have to find CMRR2 for differential amplifier c) with current source b)

Actually, all you're asked to do is compute the ratio of CMRR's for current sinks (a) and (b). Which means don't spend a lot of time analyzing the differential input pair.

You say that "gm1, gm2, rds1 and rds2 are known. " Does that mean that you have numerical values for them, or are you supposed to give symbolic answers?

Must you treat gm1 as different from gm2? And rds1 as different from rds2? It makes the answers more complicated if you do.

You will need to calculate the impedance of the two current sources, a) and b). Have you done that?

This problem's differential amplifier is not much different from the one in your other thread. Did you ever solve that one?

Can you assume that the characteristics of all the MOSFETs in the diff amp are the same?

Likes 1 person
Question to you: how do changes in ISS affect the output for a single-ended output diff. amp. with an ISS "tail" which can vary with the CM input voltage?

Then, use your equivalent circuits for M1 and M2 to derive ∂ISS/∂V to (a) and (b) circuits, where V is the dc voltage at drain1 for (a) and drain2 for (b), then take the ratio. (a) is straight-forward. For (b) you get 2 simple equations in 2 unknowns: iSS and vd1. There are no significant complications in retaining separate gm1, gm2, rds1 and rds2. Note that I use lower case for variational and upper case for dc parameters.

BTW the differential-mode gain of this circuit → ∞, another reason not to get bogged down analyzing it. It's really a comparator, not an amplifier.

rude man said:
It's instructive for you to start with circuit (a), compute CMRR, then repeat for circuit (b). You will gain insight into MOS diff amp design by doing that. It is not a lot of extra work.
Are you sure that it wouldn't be a lot of work with separate analysis of diff. amp. with source a) and diff. amp. with source b) ? I already did analysis of one simillar diff. amp. (my previous thread) and there was a lot of work. This example is even more complicated.

The Electrician said:
You say that "gm1, gm2, rds1 and rds2 are known. " Does that mean that you have numerical values for them, or are you supposed to give symbolic answers?

Must you treat gm1 as different from gm2? And rds1 as different from rds2? It makes the answers more complicated if you do.

You will need to calculate the impedance of the two current sources, a) and b). Have you done that?

This problem's differential amplifier is not much different from the one in your other thread. Did you ever solve that one?

Can you assume that the characteristics of all the MOSFETs in the diff amp are the same?

I don't have numerical values so I have to give symbolic answers. I don't know how should I consider them :(

rude man said:
Question to you: how do changes in ISS affect the output for a single-ended output diff. amp. with an ISS "tail" which can vary with the CM input voltage?

Then, use your equivalent circuits for M1 and M2 to derive ∂ISS/∂V to (a) and (b) circuits, where V is the dc voltage at drain1 for (a) and drain2 for (b), then take the ratio. (a) is straight-forward. For (b) you get 2 simple equations in 2 unknowns: iSS and vd1. There are no significant complications in retaining separate gm1, gm2, rds1 and rds2. Note that I use lower case for variational and upper case for dc parameters.

BTW the differential-mode gain of this circuit → ∞, another reason not to get bogged down analyzing it. It's really a comparator, not an amplifier.
I didn't know this could be solved on that way. I will try to do it.

etf said:
Are you sure that it wouldn't be a lot of work with separate analysis of diff. amp. with source a) and diff. amp. with source b) ? I already did analysis of one simillar diff. amp. (my previous thread) and there was a lot of work. This example is even more complicated.

As I said before, you should not be analyzing the entire amplifier. You should be looking only at the two I_SS networks, after understanding why.

etf said:
I didn't know this could be solved on that way. I will try to do it.

Good. This is a good exercise, showing you quantitatively that CM gain can depend on the type of "tail" chosen for your diff. amp. By "tail" I mean the networks (a) and (b).

I'm definitely not able to solve this problem on way you suggested me :confused: Could you please post solution? I would be very grateful :)

etf said:
I'm definitely not able to solve this problem on way you suggested me :confused: Could you please post solution? I would be very grateful :)

We are no allowed to do that.

Draw a differential pair of MOSFETS, n-channel, with a resistor R1 in each drain going to +VDD. Connect the sources together and run a resistor R2 from the sources to -VDD.

Tie the two gates together and compute one of the drain voltages as you apply 0V, -1V and +1V respectively to the gates. What is the drain voltage in each case? (Assume same gm and Vth, and ignore rds (rds = infinite).)

Last edited:
I know that it's prohibited by the rules of forum but I always gave my best in solving problems... You probably seen that, this is not first time you're helping me :)

etf said:
I know that it's prohibited by the rules of forum but I always gave my best in solving problems... You probably seen that, this is not first time you're helping me :)

Respond to post 11.
You won't learn anything if you're handed the solution on a silver platter.

Related to How Do Current Sources Affect CMRR in Differential Amplifiers?

What is a differential amplifier and how does it work?

A differential amplifier is an electronic circuit that amplifies the difference between two input signals. It consists of two amplifying elements, such as transistors, that amplify the two input signals and a differential output that is the amplified difference between the two inputs. This type of amplifier is commonly used in applications where high precision and low noise are required, such as in instrumentation and audio equipment.

What are the advantages of using a differential amplifier?

There are several advantages to using a differential amplifier, including high common-mode rejection ratio (CMRR), low noise, and high stability. CMRR refers to the ability of the amplifier to reject any signals that are common to both inputs, which is important in reducing noise and interference. Additionally, differential amplifiers can be used to amplify small signals that would otherwise be lost in the noise, making them ideal for precision measurements.

What are the different types of differential amplifiers?

There are several types of differential amplifiers, including operational amplifiers (op-amps), instrumentation amplifiers, and fully differential amplifiers. Op-amps are the most commonly used type of differential amplifier and are often used in basic signal conditioning and amplification circuits. Instrumentation amplifiers are more precise and have a higher CMRR, making them suitable for more sensitive applications. Fully differential amplifiers have two differential outputs and are commonly used in high-speed applications.

How do you calculate the gain of a differential amplifier?

The gain of a differential amplifier is typically calculated by taking the ratio of the output voltage to the difference between the two input voltages. This is known as the differential gain. Additionally, the common-mode gain, which is the ratio of the output voltage to the average of the two input voltages, is also a factor in determining the overall gain of the amplifier. The overall gain is the sum of the differential gain and the common-mode gain.

What are some common applications of differential amplifiers?

Differential amplifiers are commonly used in a variety of applications, including instrumentation and measurement, audio amplification, and signal conditioning. They are also used in communication systems, such as radio and television receivers, to amplify and process signals. Additionally, differential amplifiers are used in medical equipment, such as electrocardiograms, to amplify and analyze biological signals.