How Do Conservation Laws Apply to Colliding Space Shuttles?

In summary: This allows you to solve for the initial velocity of both shuttles, which is what you are looking for in this problem.In summary, two space shuttles of different masses and velocities are linked together and moving towards Mars. Using conservation of momentum, you can determine the initial speed of both shuttles. This is done by setting up a vector equation with initial and final conditions, and solving for the initial velocities.
djsam1025

Homework Statement

Two space shuttles owned by two different countries go to space. Their engines are closed, and are moving from impulse towards Mars. The shuttles are separated by big springs. The first shuttle, has a mass of 1,5 x 10^4 kg and a velocity of 3,5x10^3km/h at 5,1degrees in relation to its original direction. The second shuttle, has a mass of 1,7x10^4 kg, and a velocity of 3,4 x 10^3 km/h at 5,9egrees in relation to its original direction. Determine the initial speed of both shuttles at the moment when they we're linked one another.

Homework Equations

I'm honestly completely lost at this part. I haven't been able to find anything and I'm doing courses at home and the lesson doesn't explain this part well.

The Attempt at a Solution

Still notthing. I'm not looking for answers, but someone to start me off so I can answer other questions like these, this is the first of many.

PS; Sorry if the english isn't great, I tried translating it the best I could.

Physics news on Phys.org
The equations for impulse and momentum are what you want to use. Conservation of Momentum is probably what you meant to say.

Using conservation of momentum, you are given information that is pretty crucial, because you are told that the two shuttles are initially linked together. This means that their initial velocities are both equal. The equation for impulse and momentum is a vector equation, so you can set it up like that. You have an initial condition, plus some added impulse, equal to a final condition, which is given in the problem.

Related to How Do Conservation Laws Apply to Colliding Space Shuttles?

1. What is the conservation of impulse?

The conservation of impulse is a fundamental law of physics that states that in a closed system, the total impulse (or change in momentum) remains constant. This means that the total momentum before an interaction is equal to the total momentum after the interaction.

2. How is impulse related to conservation of momentum?

Impulse is directly related to the conservation of momentum, as it is defined as the change in momentum over time. In a closed system, the total impulse must be equal to the total change in momentum, therefore, the conservation of impulse also implies the conservation of momentum.

3. Why is the conservation of impulse important?

The conservation of impulse is important because it is a fundamental law of physics that governs the motion of objects in a closed system. It helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects in motion and is the basis for many other laws and principles in physics.

4. What are some real-life examples of conservation of impulse?

Some real-life examples of conservation of impulse can be seen in collisions, both elastic and inelastic. For instance, a billiard ball colliding with another ball on a pool table will experience a change in momentum, but the total momentum of the two balls will remain constant. Another example is when a rocket is launched into space, the momentum of the rocket and its fuel will remain constant as they propel each other in opposite directions.

5. Is the conservation of impulse always true?

Yes, the conservation of impulse is always true in a closed system, where there are no external forces acting on the system. This means that as long as there are no external forces, the total impulse will remain constant and the conservation of momentum and impulse will hold true.