How Do Coefficients of Restitution Affect Collision Outcomes?

In summary, the conversation discusses a collision between a 3850 lb Pontiac and a 3100 lb Toyota traveling at different speeds with a coefficient of restitution of .27. The final speeds of both cars after the collision are calculated using the equation (1/2)(m)(v^2). The kinetic energy lost in the collision is found to be 4436 Joules. The final speed of the two cars if they were locked together is also calculated.
madmax2006

Homework Statement

The driver of a 3850 lb Pontiac traveling East at 32 miles/hr has a collision with a 3100 lb Toyota traveling East at 24 miles/hr. The coefficient of restitution is .27. Find:
i) The final speed of the Pontiac after the collision
ii) The final speed of the Toyota after the collision

3850lb = 1744kg
3100lb = 1404kg
32 miles/hr = 46.93 ft/s
24 miles/hr = 35.2 ft/s
Cr = .27

Homework Equations

I'm attempting to solve i) and ii) using the equation:

e616cb918a63fca97cdfb47072e9d0e8.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to do the work in ft/s & kg

Appx - 40.26 ft/s for m1'
Appx - 43.45 ft/s for m2'

Does it look right for this type of problem?

iii) The kinetic energy lost in the collision

KE = (1/2)(m)(v2 )

KE (m1) = (1/2)(1744kg)(14.3m/s)2
KE (m1') = (1/2)(1744kg)(12.27m/s)2
KE (m2) = (1/2)(1404kg)(10.73m/s)2
KE (m2') = (1/2)(1404kg)(13.24m/s)2

KE (m1) appx = 178315
KE (m1') appx = 131644
KE (m2) appx = 80823
KE (m2') appx = 123058

(178315+80823) - (131644+123058)

4436 Joules lost :)

iv) Suppose the cars locked together during the collision. Find the final speed of the 2 cars after collision for this case

7909bbd935e5d7aa3e71b4ea41703c06.png

1744kg*46.93ft/s+1404kg*35.2ft/s
3148kg

= 41.7 ft/s

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Looks good. I haven't checked your arithmetic in detail, but your method looks sound.

Your calculations for i) and ii) look correct for this type of problem. You have correctly used the equation for conservation of momentum, taking into account the coefficient of restitution to determine the final velocities of each car.

For iii), your calculations for the kinetic energy lost in the collision are also correct. This is an important quantity to consider in collisions, as it represents the energy that is dissipated or lost during the collision.

For iv), you have correctly used the concept of conservation of momentum to determine the final velocity of the two cars if they were to lock together during the collision. This scenario would result in a lower final velocity compared to the previous scenario, where the cars rebounded after the collision.

Overall, your approach to solving this problem is sound and your calculations are correct. Keep in mind that in real-life situations, there may be other factors at play that could affect the outcome of a collision, such as air resistance or friction. These factors would need to be taken into account for a more accurate analysis.

Related to How Do Coefficients of Restitution Affect Collision Outcomes?

1. What causes a collision between two cars?

There are various factors that can lead to a collision between two cars, including distracted driving, speeding, tailgating, drunk driving, and adverse weather conditions.

2. What are the most common injuries resulting from a car collision?

The most common injuries from a car collision include whiplash, cuts and bruises, broken bones, head and neck injuries, and internal bleeding. These injuries can range from minor to severe depending on the impact of the collision.

3. How can we prevent car collisions?

There are several steps that can be taken to prevent car collisions, such as following traffic laws, avoiding distractions while driving, maintaining a safe distance from other vehicles, and driving defensively. It is also important to regularly maintain your vehicle and ensure that all safety features are in working condition.

4. What should I do if I am involved in a car collision?

If you are involved in a car collision, the first step is to check for any injuries and call for emergency medical assistance if needed. Then, exchange information with the other driver(s), take photos of the scene and any damages, and report the accident to your insurance company. It is also important to stay calm and avoid admitting fault.

5. Can a car collision be avoided with advanced technology?

While advanced technology such as collision avoidance systems and lane departure warnings can help prevent car collisions, it is ultimately the responsibility of the driver to operate the vehicle safely. These technologies are meant to assist, not replace, safe driving practices.