How Do Cars A and B Interact on a Position-Time Graph?

In summary, at 1 second and 3 seconds, A and B have the same position. At 1 second and 2 seconds, they have the same velocity. At 3 seconds, car A passes car B.
Toranc3

Homework Statement

Two cars, A and B, move along the x-axis. Figure 2.39 is a graph of the positions of A and B versus time. (a) In motion diagrams (like Fig 2.13b and Fig 2.14b), show the position, velocity, and acceleration of each of the two cars at t=0, t=1s, and t=3s. (b) At what time(s) if any, do A and B have the same position? (c) Graph velocity versus time for both A and B. (d) At what time(s), if any, do A and B have the same velocity? (e) AT what time(s) if any, does car A pass car B? (f) At what time(s), if any does car B pass car A?

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/t/s9nhk.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Part A:
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/t/f8rqy.jpg

Part B: At t=1s and 3s.

Part C: http://www.freeimagehosting.net/t/4m23n.jpg

Part D : I think at 1<x<3. Somewhere between there. Possibly at 2 seconds I think.

Part E: at 3 seconds car a passes car b.

Part F: After one second car b passes car a until they meet again at 3 seconds. Then car a passes car b.

Is this correct? Thanks in advance!

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For part B, the velocities are the derivatives for those curves. You need to consider when the slopes of the tangent lines to the curves your given for x vs. t are the same. In other words, when is the slope of the tangent line to A the same as the slope of line B?

Edit: I was rereading it, it's not clear what is meant by "velocity position." I thought it was asking when they have the same velocity, otherwise, you are correct, and D is correct.

AdkinsJr said:
For part B, the velocities are the derivatives for those curves. You need to consider when the slopes of the tangent lines to the curves your given for x vs. t are the same. In other words, when is the slope of the tangent line to A the same as the slope of line B?

Edit: I was rereading it, it's not clear what is meant by "velocity position." I thought it was asking when they have the same velocity, otherwise, you are correct, and D is correct.

Sorry but I fixed it now.

Related to How Do Cars A and B Interact on a Position-Time Graph?

1. What is the "Graph of two cars problem"?

The "Graph of two cars problem" is a hypothetical scenario in which two cars are traveling on a graph with time as the x-axis and distance as the y-axis. This problem is often used to illustrate concepts in kinematics and physics.

2. What is the purpose of this problem?

The purpose of the "Graph of two cars problem" is to help students understand and apply concepts such as position, velocity, acceleration, and motion in a real-world scenario. It also helps to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

3. What are the key factors to consider in this problem?

The key factors to consider in the "Graph of two cars problem" are the starting positions of the two cars, their respective velocities, and any changes in velocity or acceleration over time. These factors will determine the shape and slope of the graph.

4. How can I solve this problem?

To solve the "Graph of two cars problem", you can use various mathematical equations and formulas such as the distance formula, the slope formula, and the equation of motion. You can also use graphical methods such as plotting points on a graph and finding the slope of the line.

5. What are some common misconceptions about this problem?

Some common misconceptions about the "Graph of two cars problem" include assuming that the two cars have constant velocity throughout the entire journey, or that the graph must be a straight line. It is important to carefully analyze the problem and consider all factors before making assumptions or drawing conclusions.