How Do Camera Settings Like Aperture and Shutter Speed Affect Exposure?

In summary, the camera settings are:
physicsgal
camera settings:
shutter speed: 15, 30, 60, 125, 250. 500, 1000
aperture f/: 2.8, 4, 5.6, 8, 11, 16.

a) which aperture setting likes 8 times more like to enter than f/8?
= f/2.8

b) which aperture allows 4 times less light to enter than f/5.6?
= f/11

c) which shutter speed permits twice as much light to enter camera as 250?
= shutter speed 125

d) which shutter speed permits 1/4th as much light to enter camera as 125?
= 500

e) camera is loaded with ASA 1000 film and a perfect exposure is taken at 500 and f/8. state two other combinations of settings equivalent to this.
1 = shutter speed 250 with f/5.6
2. = shutter speed 125 with f/4

g) the film is changed to ASA 120. state one combination of camera setting sthat could be used to take a perfect exposure, assuming there is no change in the available light from the situation in part (e).
= shutter speed 500 and f/2.8

can someone tell me if I am on the right track? I am especially iffy on (e). (i have my answers in italics)

merci

~Amy

Physics news on Phys.org
physicsgal said:
e) camera is loaded with ASA 1000 film and a perfect exposure is taken at 500 and f/8. state two other combinations of settings equivalent to this.
1 = shutter speed 250 with f/5.6
2. = shutter speed 125 with f/4

g) the film is changed to ASA 120. state one combination of camera setting sthat could be used to take a perfect exposure, assuming there is no change in the available light from the situation in part (e).
= shutter speed 500 and f/2.8

can someone tell me if I am on the right track? I am especially iffy on (e). (i have my answers in italics)

merci

~Amy
Each successive f/stop halves the aperture area so it halves the amount of light. (f/stop is inversely proportional to the diameter of the aperature. The area, of course is proportional to the square of the diameter. So f/4 is twice the diameter of f/8 so it allows 4 times the amount of light than f/8).

The exposure time is the reciprocal of the shutter speed. So 125 is 4 times the exposure of 500 (1/125 sec. vs. 1/500 sec.).

So your answers to a-d are right. But you have e backward. f/8 and 500 is the same as doubling the exposure time but halving the aperature area; or halving the exposure time and doubling the aperature etc.

For part g, the ASA number tells you the exposure time (at a certain f/stop for a certain amount of light). So ASA 120 requires 1000/120 more light than ASA 1000 to give a proper exposure. You should be able to work it out from that.

AM

thanks Andrew!

for e) i got shutter speed 1000 with f/5.6., and shutter speed 124 with f/16.

and for g) i have shutter speed 60 with f/16.

im pretty sure my answers are correct now :smile:

~Amy

Related to How Do Camera Settings Like Aperture and Shutter Speed Affect Exposure?

1. What is camera aperture?

Camera aperture refers to the opening in the lens of a camera that controls the amount of light that enters the camera. It is measured in f-stops, with a lower f-stop number indicating a larger aperture and a higher f-stop number indicating a smaller aperture.

2. How does aperture affect my photos?

Aperture affects the depth of field in a photo, or the amount of the image that is in focus. A larger aperture (lower f-stop) results in a shallow depth of field, with only a small portion of the image in focus. A smaller aperture (higher f-stop) creates a deeper depth of field, with more of the image in focus.

3. What is shutter speed?

Shutter speed refers to the amount of time that the camera's shutter remains open, allowing light to enter and expose the camera's sensor. It is typically measured in fractions of a second, such as 1/100 or 1/1000.

4. How does shutter speed affect my photos?

Shutter speed affects the amount of motion blur in a photo. A faster shutter speed will freeze motion, while a slower shutter speed will result in motion blur. Shutter speed also affects the exposure of the photo, with a longer shutter speed allowing more light to enter the camera.

5. How should I choose the right aperture and shutter speed for my photos?

The right aperture and shutter speed will depend on the desired effect for your photo. If you want a shallow depth of field and a blurred background, choose a larger aperture (lower f-stop) and a faster shutter speed. For a deeper depth of field and a sharper image, choose a smaller aperture (higher f-stop) and a slower shutter speed. It is important to also consider the lighting conditions and adjust your settings accordingly.